• Tue. Apr 23rd, 2024

10 Loving Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas

ByEleanor Parker

With Valentine’s Day coming up this weekend, we want you to know that there is no need to panic when it comes to gift-giving… however, being a common cause of breakups among couples, remember that your choice of gift might have ramifications. Get your game face on because the pressure is has been turned up a notch. With that in mind, we have compiled a loving list of gifts that do not cost the earth (although that would be an impressive present).

1. A mason jar filled with your own tears from all the times that you have missed them. Who doesn’t love a rustic mason jar? And how else do you show your love that you have cried a river over them? This one is a real tear-jerker.
  1. A prototype invitation to your future wedding. If you need to drop any hints, then this one is probably the most effective. Make sure you include lots of swirling calligraphy.
  1. A photo album with pictures of your future children inside. This one is a more of a subtle nudge, rather than a full blown hint. You do not want to seem too keen.
  1. A handwritten framed list of all their faults. If you don’t correct them, then who will? Go with the swirling calligraphy again, this time to soften the blows.
  1. Gig tickets for your favourite band. Why treat them, when you can treat yourself? Valentine’s Day is also for you remember.
  1. Knit them a scarf long enough for both of you to wear at once. This way, they can never leave your side – how sweet.
  1. Plant them a tree, using the conkers you collected in autumn in preparation. This not only hints at your green-fingered nature skills, but also demonstrates the growth and development of your relationship and your eternal love (because trees live forever, right?)
  1. A mixtape of your favourite songs to listen to together, but sung by you. You know you have the voice of an angel and your partner would never dare to say otherwise.
  1. Buy them a bowl of avocados, because the chocolate and flowers combo is overrated.
  1. Don’t buy them anything. They have probably forgotten that it is Valentine’s Day and they probably don’t even care. Do you even care? No, I didn’t think so.

Image: Flickr: [Sarah Janis]

By Eleanor Parker

Ellie is a fourth year History undergraduate and former Lifestyle editor.