16-year-old arrested in connection with library attack

CW: racial abuse and physical assault

A 16-year-old has been arrested in connection with a racially aggravated assault that took place outside the University of Edinburgh’s main library in George Square on 11 December.

Speaking to The Student last week, the individual subjected to the attack stated: “What terrifies me the most is that it happened in a place where I thought I should be safe.”

The attack has sparked an outpouring of support for the individual in question and greater demands have been made for the university to do more to tackle racism on campus.

Regarding the arrest, Inspector Norman Towler of St Leonards Police Station said: “Officers in Edinburgh have arrested a 16-year-old boy in connection with a racial assault which happened in George Square on Friday, 11 December.

“A 21-year-old man was approached by a group of youths, who spoke to him and subjected him to racial abuse before he was assaulted. 

“The victim was taken to hospital with minor injuries.

“The teenager will be reported and enquiries continue to trace others involved in the incident.

“I would like to thank those who have assisted with our enquiries so far, any form of hate crime is completely unacceptable and I would ask anyone with any further information to contact officers as soon as possible. 

“Those with information should report this to 101, quoting incident number 2927 of 11 December.”

The Student will continue to report on the incident as more information is made available. 

Image: Stinglehammer via Wikimedia commons