• Sun. Jun 23rd, 2024

2023: The year of the podcast?

ByTasha Brookes

photo of pug with headphones on lying next to a microphone used for podcasts

With social media platforms jumping around and Tik-Tok being on Instagram reels and vice versa, I am finding my “FYP” is becoming increasingly full of podcast clips, (with special mention to Jamie Laing and Sophie Haboo’s nearly weds). With so many media forms emerging it can be hard to keep up with all the options bursting around you. Podcasts are becoming increasingly popular within recent months, and I’ve been thinking long and hard about whether I think this productive platform is here to stay in 2022.

Why are podcasts so popular?

Podcasts have been around for a while; however, it seems at the moment everyone and their aunt is hopping on the trend. And whilst some are definitely better than others, I don’t see anything bad about it. For one, they’re a healthy, productive form of media. Podcasts allow you to get things done whilst listening to them, they don’t fry your brain off to the outside world.

I have found myself cleaning my flat top to bottom whilst listening to off menu and using the more informative Ted Talk Daily as some company on a 9am walk to uni. Podcasts have evolved, only a few years ago were they corporate and formal. However, with an emergence of comedians, influencers and motivational speakers hopping on the trend, we have seen an emergence of a more light-hearted media, for when you just don’t want to hang around in silence.

Podcasts can be engaging yet informative, through listening to 15-minute Ted Talks, I have learnt new, interesting facts and topics of conversation (bonus points for them also coming in handy at dinner parties). Podcasts are a friendly and welcoming platform, there are no comment sections filled with trolls either, so it can also be used for educational purposes.

Do I think they’re here to stay? My predictions for 2023…

I’ve seen a lot of people hopping on the podcast trend recently, and personally, I think a lot of them will drop off by this time next year. Upon first impression, podcasting seems an easy way of curating content and promoting yourself. However, to be successful, you must create something unique (and keep this up for every episode). This can be hard when everyone else is doing the same thing. So, whilst I believe this year holds room for a lot of new podcasters and content creators, I think we will see a lot of people trying and realising its not for them. From an outside perspective, podcasting appears to require a lot of prior research to curate enough content to keep you talking for an hour! It’s something I certainly would struggle with. In saying this, these are my predictions, so who knows what the year holds. 

My favourite podcasts:

1: Off menu

James Acaster and Ed Gamble have been doing this podcast for a few years and if anything, it just keeps getting funnier. Based around their “dream restaurant”, they invite comedians onto their podcast to outline what their dream menu would be. Special mention goes to the Greg Davies episode.

2: Ted Talks Daily:

Quite different from the last, and you must be in the mood to learn. Over summer, when lying on a beach I would often put on one of these, so I could relax whilst learning and still engaging my brain. Topics range completely with a variety of guest speakers. Special mentions to “why you feel anxious socialising (and what to do about it)”

3: The Student Podcast:

Special mention to The Student’s own podcast. Covering a series of topics and including guest speaks such as editors and writers for the paper, this podcast gives an insight into student life here at Edi. Feel free to get involved by emailing podcast.studentnewspaper@gmail.com! 

Photo credit: “Roscoe Considers Recording a Podcast” by zoomar is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0.