• Fri. Feb 23rd, 2024

A Student’s Experience of Easter Road as Hibernian beat Kilmarnock 1-0

ByWill Duffield

Hibernian FC's Stadium

A couple of weeks ago, I was asked by one of my 5-a-side teammates if I wanted to go and watch Hibernian play against Kilmarnock. It would be fair to say that my knowledge of Scottish football doesn’t go that far, and I could probably tell you as much about Hibernian’s history, current players, and stadium as I could about quantitative mechanics (spoiler, it’s not that much). The thing is, I was still very willing to go, because there is nothing quite like watching live football. The atmosphere you get within any stadium is always incredible, and with student tickets being as low as £14, it seemed like the perfect way to spend my Saturday afternoon.

So myself and two eagerly excited fans joined the sea of green supporters, making their way towards Easter Road on what was a cold but surprisingly sunny day in Edinburgh. Thankfully, the walk to Easter Road was a fairly short one from my flat, and before kick-off, I managed to get my hands on a scarf, the cornerstone of any football fan’s arsenal, that now has pride of place on my windowsill. I managed to pick up some peri-peri dusted chips before finding my seat, which were an excellent appetiser but perhaps slightly overpriced at £3.80 – I am a student after all. With all the pre-game antics out of the way, we took our seats in the lower Western Stand, which were perfect. Easter Road has a capacity of 20,000, and so unlike some Premier League grounds, where the cheapest seats are way up in the heavens, we were close to the pitch and had excellent views throughout. Hibernian manage to fill three-quarters of their stadium for the majority of matches, with the addition of some very loud and excited Kilmarnock fans. 

The game itself, I would describe as a scrappy affair. Both teams lacked opportunities in front of goal, which is a testament to the defence, in particular Hibs centre-half Rocky Bushiri, who played in a calm manner with Kilmarnock rarely threatening a goal. The star of the show, however, was striker Martin Boyle, who lit up the Hibernian attack. He thought he had scored early in the first half, only for the offside flag to cut our celebrations short. It was seemingly not Boyle’s day to be on the score sheet, but he certainly deserved credit for the way in which he assisted Josh Campbell to get what was the only goal of the game. 

Boyle showed some excellent hold-up play on the half-way line and then carried the ball 40 yards before playing a perfect ball to Campbell, who slotted it home. Hibs were well deserving of their win as Boyle continued to cause Kilmarnock issues in the second half, but the one goal was enough to see them home and round up an excellent afternoon.

I would definitely recommend to any students living in Edinburgh to try and get their hands on some tickets for Hibernian, as they are good value for money, especially with how expensive Premier League tickets are these days. I hope to be returning to Easter Road very soon.

Easter road from arthur’s seat” by Geni is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.