Albums of the Year 2019: IGOR – Tyler, the Creator

There are few figures who will one day sum up the music of the older zoomer generation like Tyler, the Creator. I remember being an angsty, hormonal, sniveling teen blaring Bastard in the hallways of my high school and feeling like that pent-up, highly offensive anger that Tyler displayed was all that I could connect to. But he grew up and so did I, and it’s amazing that even when making wildly different types of music and presenting nuanced, heartbreaking emotions, I still connect like that angry teenager to any new music he presents. IGOR is a masterpiece, it is what all his work has built up to. It’s a frustrated, lo-fi, tour de force of an album which sees Tyler as the conductor of a choir of talented performers, much like Kanye did with MBDTF. It is sophisticated and layered, features songs you can play at a party (I found ‘I THINK’ got people moving at parties this summer, as sad as its lyrics are) and plenty of songs to cry alone to in your room. Nothing can touch those final beats of ‘ARE WE STILL FRIENDS’ as it builds and builds to a final “don’t say goodbye, smell ya later” presenting a reverence for the one you love that you know isn’t coming back. Yet, much like the album, you can never truly say goodbye, and the theme starts again, the song remains the same. And who would think Tyler would capture that so damn well?

Image: W.O.W. Hall via Flickr