Alfie Templeman shares a colourful if unoriginal track

ByPriya Basra

Rating: 3 out of 5

Alfie Templeman rocks back into the public’s eye with his new catchy tune ‘Forever Isn’t Long Enough’ released shortly after his EP Happiness in Liquid Form. On the surface the song relays a feeling of transcendence and transportation with his lyrics focusing on the development and progression of time; notably in the chorus: “I don’t want this wave to stop/But it’s over now”. 

While this may seem an interesting and perhaps poignant theme, especially with Covid becoming ever more rampant and memories of pre lockdown haunt our minds, this song seems slightly underdeveloped as a whole. This rather angsty, TikTok style of song is matched with the music video’s direction, taking inspiration from Benee’s ‘Supalonely’. 

The track’s production, however, acts as an alternative indie soundtrack which seeks to keep people on their feet, drawing on sounds such as 80’s synths, new wave beats, and influences from 70s lo-fi. The meaning behind the song and Templeman’s emphasis that forever isn’t long enough” is placed in a whole new light when viewed in the context of his own personal struggles living with childhood lung disease. The track becomes more honest and intimate, making it more believable when Templeman ruminates on the unpredictability of life and nature, something we can all relate to.

Image: Lorne Thomson via Redferns