Culture Music Reviews

Arctic Monkeys ‘Body Paint’ review

Indie Sleaze is back! The second single from their upcoming seventh studio album The Car, Arctic Monkeys released ‘Body Paint’ on September 29th. 

Initially, the piano opening brought to mind David Bowie’s ‘Life on Mars?’ and Turner’s vocals also pay tribute to the dearly departed Starman, but that’s not where the Bowie comparisons end.

Just as fans have each had a version of Bowie that was their own, fans from across Arctic Monkeys’ 20 year career have distinct visions of the band depending on which era they found the band. From the garage rock sound of the earliest albums to the darker, heavier vibe of 2013’s AM, ‘Body Paint’ is the next step in this new era (begun in 2018 with Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino) of “futuristic lounge bar” crooners, as described by NME’s Erica Campbell

Despite the slightly enigmatic lyrics, what is clear is that all is not well in this relationship. From accusations of “deception and subterfuge” and call-outs to the tanning booth and still being covered in body paint, alluding to there being a fake-ness in their personality, there is a moment he admits “And if you’re thinking of me, I’m probably thinking of you.”

Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys performs acoustic @ KEXP Studios – Seattle, WA 2011-08-10 – DSC_5521-2.jpg” by laviddichterman is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.