Edinburgh University student wins Star Baker in the first week of Bake Off
by Liberty Phelan, 30/09/20

Peter Sawkins, a 20 year old University of Edinburgh student, has won Star Baker in the first episode of The Great British Bake Off. He impressed the judges with his showstopper, a bust of Olympic medal-winning cyclist and Edinburgh alumnus Chris Hoy. He also made a gluten-free chocolate and orange Battenberg for the signature round, and he came second in the technical round for his miniature pineapple upside down cakes.

Sawkins is the youngest competitor this year, and he is doing a degree in Accounting and Finance, while also representing Great Britain as a Badminton player. His Instagram, peter_bakes, has over 4,700 followers and he regularly posts seasonally inspired bakes, such as Paddington Bear biscuits for World Book Day and Christmas Pomegranate Delice. Peter has been baking since he first started watching Bake Off aged 12, and he specialises in gluten free baking because his brother has a gluten intolerance.

63 per cent of winners of Cake Week, always the first episode of the series, have gone on to win the competition. This year, the competitors, presenters, judges and crew of The Great British Bake Off all formed a social bubble for the duration of filming, so social distancing was not required in the tent.

Image: Marc Kjerland via Wikimedia Commons