Geographical Society’s Virtual Relay will raise money for Health in Mind
by Frankie Salvini, 22/09/20

On Friday 25th September, students and staff from across the University of Edinburgh’s Geographical Society will be running for 24 hours in order to raise money for Health in Mind.

With many of the university’s societies adapting to the COVID-19 ‘new normal’ as the semester starts, The Student has spoken to the organisers of the event to discuss how they are adapting to societal activities with social distancing in place.

The society’s Vice President, Emily Stammers, has said:

“Our relay is a very inclusive event with individuals of all abilities and ages running on their own, complying with social distancing guidelines.

“We understand the pressures of hosting events in a socially distanced age, but we hope this fundraiser can show that such measures don’t have to hinder the success of an event.”

Emily also discussed the importance of supporting a mental health charity in the current climate and encouraging the conversation around mental health.

“With the stress of the past few months compiled with the existing pressures of student life, organising a fundraiser for a mental health charity seemed an important thing to do.”

Health in Mind provide a number of services and courses which support individuals suffering from mental health issues, enabling them to make a positive difference in their lives.

The 24-hour relay will begin at 6 pm and will finish at the same time on Saturday the 26th. To ensure the relay works, one participant will be running every minute of the day and will use an app to track their progress.

Updates and information on how to support the event can be found on Instagram at @edionedayrelay.

Photo credit: tableatny via Flickr