Indecisiveness – is it a trait we can learn to overcome?

Hello, I’m an overthinker!

Stranger things. No, let’s watch Suits. Or should we go back to an old classic and watch Friends?

Have you ever sat down, cozy and wrapped up in a blanket with a cup of hot chocolate in your hands ready to watch a show, and just couldn’t decide what to watch?

If this exactly sounds like you, it is likely that indecisiveness and overthinking are some of your guilty traits. No matter whether it is your choice of breakfast or what to say during a tutorial – we often spend forever coming to a definitive decision. But let me reassure you: you are not alone. 

Tackling these indecisive traits can be tricky, but there are 5 easy ways to train ourselves  to avoid these decision dilemmas and help ensure that we actually sit down to watch a movie or TV show before our hot chocolate gets cold!

Tip 1 – Know your priorities

There are decisions in your life that you value more, others that you value less, this can dictate how long you should spend making a decision. Focus on the most important things and generate some automatic decisions for those scenarios that occur regularly. For example, if you feel super stressed and just want to choose a TV show quickly, prepare a series in advance and give yourself a ‘go-to’ to watch during stressful days. This means you don’t waste precious time choosing something to watch. This will make life so much easier, I promise. 

Tip 2 – Eliminate options

Even if you don’t know precisely what you want, I’m sure that you know what you don´t want. Sometimes it really helps to consider your situation from a more black-and-white perspective just eliminate options that you would never decide on. Voila, it will be much easier to decide from whatever choices are left.

Tip 3 – Learn to trust yourself

When you think about a decision, there is often a part of you that favors one side but you still consider the alternative. This subconscious part of you, some people call it gut, knows what to do. And sometimes you just have to listen to this gut. Not all decisions have to be rational. Sometimes, it’s okay to follow your instincts and your emotions and go with what your mind favours immediately .

Tip 4 – Overcome your perfectionism

Life is hard enough, don’t make it even harder for yourself by adding the pressure of ensuring that every single decision is 100% correct. Newsflash: You’ll make mistakes and you’ll regret doing things. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t  do them. Making mistakes is part of human nature and part of the person you´ll grow into, so don’t prevent yourself from making some valuable decisions that you may grow to reconsider.

Tip 5 – Take action

It’s up to you how long you’ll spend on each decision. Of course, some need deeper evaluation, but most are just basic daily life decisions. You don’t need to spend forever making simple non-consequential decisions, instead use your time more efficiently, rather than pondering over buying the green or the red shirt, consider the fact that at the end of the day, those minor decisions won’t matter. 

And the most essential part: Don’t regret anything. It will just make you feel awful and enhance your overthinking. You cannot take back what you’ve said or what you’ve done, so why bother trying? Just try to make the best out of your situation.

I mean, what’s the worst that could happen?

Image Credit: SketchPort