Keeping the flatmate bond going strong
by Olivia Fallon, 18/10/20

It’s midway through the semester and the social circles we have direct access to have slowly decreased by the week. Whilst it’s a blessing to not be living alone, spending all your time in the same small group does inevitably lead to tensions. Although it’s important to have your own space and alone time, retreating to your room altogether can prove disastrous to mental health, especially as the autumn days get darker. 

Here are 5 ideas to keep your flatmate bonds strong under the current restrictions:

1. Room crawl

By now, I think it’s safe to say that even the less-party inclined of us are missing good-old club nights out. The sticky floors, the blinding lights, and the questionable dancing are all a much longed-for memory. But you need not miss out – why not hold a flat room crawl? These are more fun the more effort you all put in – think dressing up, decorations, themed rooms and drinks; the opportunities are endless. Missing your favourite club or night – recreate it in your room – surely a Gari’s special can’t be that hard to perfect?

1. Come Dine With Me

Everyone has watched the icon of British Television that is ‘Come Dine With Me’ and convinced themselves they would win. Now’s your chance to prove it! Unleash your skills upon your flatmates to compete for a grand prize (a bottle of wine, or even just the pride and glory will do). This is bound to result in some hilarious kitchen catastrophes that will give you conversation material for weeks.

1. Nostalgic sleepover

Being 13 was a lot like being in lockdown as a student– we weren’t allowed to go to pubs or nightclubs, and we had limited access to funds – so what did we do? Sleepovers. Think excessive sugar, ridiculously late nights, facemasks, blanket dens, and even more fairy lights than an Edinburgh uni girl usually bedecks her flat with. Crack out the classic sleepover films – ‘Ten Things I Hate About You’, ‘Clueless’, ‘Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging’, all spring to mind. 

1. Clothes swap

Boredom is a dominating feeling at the moment, and this definitely extends to our wardrobes. Rather than throwing out clothes you’re fed up of, why not swap with your flatmates? This doesn’t have to be a permanent trade – pool all your clothes together so you can still hang onto things you love while mixing things up every once in a while. This is a great way to vary your look without breaking the bank, all while doing your part for the environment. 

1. Self-Care Night 

Lockdown and the new ‘not-normal’ are major sources of stress for everyone. Don’t keep this bottled up. Get together with your flatmates, light some candles, try each other’s skincare routines, talk about things that are bothering you, and share your best ways to destress. Listen to feel good music or podcasts and watch a film that makes you all feel good.

Image credit: krakenimages via Unsplash