ASLEF votes to accept 5% pay increase with ScotRail, ending industrial action

ByJoe Sullivan

Jul 30, 2022
A view of Waverley Train Station from Princes Street gardens. A train can be seen leaving the station. Also in view is the Balmoral hotel on North Bridge.

This article was originally submitted on July 12.

ScotRail train drivers have voted to accept a 5% pay increase and improvements to working conditions, according to their trade union, the Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen (ASLEF).

Their acceptance of the agreement will bring to an end two months of industrial action, which saw a third of ScotRail’s daily train services canceled.

However, ScotRail has warned that it will take up to 10 days for service to return to normal levels.

In a press release, ASLEF Scottish organiser Kevin Lindsay said,

“Following a ballot on the improved offer negotiated with ScotRail, ASLEF members have voted to accept the proposals on pay and conditions.”

ScotRail drivers will also see an improvement to pay packets on Sundays and rest days, new maternity and trainee driver pay, and a five year ban on forced redundancies.

Transport Minister Jenny Gilruth tweeted about the news, saying:

“Really pleased we now have a resolution to the @ASLEFunion pay dispute in Scotland, this is welcome news for staff & passengers alike.

“@ScotRail are now working at pace to reintroduce the normal timetable.”

The two months of industrial action by ASLEF saw disruption to last week’s TRNSMT music festival in Glasgow and the recent Scotland – Ukraine World Cup qualifier match at Hampden Park.

Attendees to both events were told they would have to leave early if they wished to take the train home, due to widespread cancellations of late night train services.

Services on the main line between Edinburgh and Glasgow were also left overcrowded, forcing travelers to stand with heavy bags.

According to the BBC, 2.2% of the funding for the pay raise will come from Transport Scotland, while 2.8% will come from the accounts of the recently nationalised ScotRail.

This dispute is separate to the ongoing disagreement between the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union and Network Rail, which disrupted train services across Scotland in the last week of June.

Fresh strikes on that matter could come before the end of summer if an agreement is not reached, casting Scotland again into travel chaos.

Another railway union, the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) is set to vote on the same deal that was offered to ASLEF members.

The result of the vote is expected to be released in the coming weeks, with the union encouraging members to vote against it due to a clause on introduction of new technologies.

However, RMT’s negotiators in Scotland are not currently seeking to launch a ballot on strike action over the deal.

Image “Waverley Station & the Balmoral Hotel, Edinburgh” by Mike McBey is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

By Joe Sullivan

Hey there, I'm Joe! I'm The Student's Editor-in-Chief. I love reporting on local happenings here in Edinburgh, and am always looking for tips on what the paper should be looking in to or covering. If you'd like to tip me - or if you'd like to chat otherwise - I can be found at... Text, Phone, WhatsApp, Signal - 07876 154619 Twitter - @_josephsullivan Instagram - @joe92743 Secure email is available on request.