Best weekend trips from Edinburgh

BySaskia Bolwell

With reading week approaching, you might find yourself with a little extra time on your hands, and what better way to use that time than by enjoying a fun few days away? Below, you will find our list of all the best student-budget approved trips from Edinburgh.

Paris, France: 

Whilst a trip to Paris might not seem like the most obvious student trip, Ryanair flights from Edinburgh to Paris-Beauvais Airport come in at under £50. Take the shuttle bus from Beauvais to the centre of Paris for £12, helping keep your travel costs pretty reasonable. With moderately priced bouloungeries on every corner, you can enjoy this iconic city without breaking the bank!

Ely, Scotland: 

Just over an hour away from Edinburgh, this picturesque seaside town has everything you need for a relaxing weekend break. Head to the local bakery or popular Ship Inn pub for delicious food before braving a cold dip in the Scottish sea. You can reach Ely by bus, making it free to get to if you have a Young Scot card. 

Dublin, Ireland: 

What does every Kitty O’Shea and Dropkick Murphy lover dream of? A weekend in the city where they can explore countless Irish pubs, including the infamous Temple Bar. This city has everything you need for the perfect weekend trip from Dublin Castle to the Guinness Storehouse; there truly is something for everyone. 

Budapest, Hungary:

Known for its affordability, Budapest is perfect for a quick student break. Explore the Szechenyi Thermal Bath before enjoying a pint for an average of 800Ft (£1.78). Accommodation is also easy to find with hostels starting from only £8 a night, meaning you don’t have to spend a fortune.

Loch Ness, Scotland: 

Situated in the Scottish Highlands, this freshwater loch is not only home to the Loch Ness Monster but also is the perfect trip destination. From scenic trails to old ruins, you can easily spend a cosy weekend immersed in its beautiful Scottish nature. Check out the multitude of Airbnbs as you and your friends can split the cost for a decent price. 

Manchester, England: 

For £17, you can enjoy all Manchester has to offer by taking the megabus from Edinburgh bus station to Manchester city centre. Spend your break exploring the trendy independent shops and restaurants of the Northern Quarter or spend time at one of the two Premier League football clubs. 

Barcelona, Spain: 

If you time your holiday well, you can have a return trip to Barcelona for under £70 when flying with Ryanair. There is so much to experience from Gaudi’s architectural creations to relaxing on Barceloneta beach; this city is the perfect mix. Not forgetting its vibrant nightlife and delicious cuisine.

Hopefully, this list has made you realise that it is possible to take a well-deserved break while sticking to a student budget. So whether it is Loch Ness or Paris, we hope you enjoy a fun weekend trip away!

airplane” by Kuster & Wildhaber Photography is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0.