Breaking up with Valentine’s Day: how the day of love has lost its spark

ByIsla McLellan

Broken Love Heart

It’s that time of year again when all restaurants and shops are advertising their special Valentine’s Day deals and discounts. What says ‘I love you’ more than a Greggs’ Steak Bake! The wonderful world of consumerism has taken over another part of our lives. Primark and Café Nero think that they can sell you the concept of love. And as we all know, the only way to express your love is by buying your significant other a bottle from Lidl’s Valentine’s Day range of wine. Not every single store, brand or product needs to be especially targeted towards expressing your love for someone. Why should love be a marketing strategy or something that can be sold for £2.99 if you order within the next 6 hours? And no one needs to be harassed by their Tescos Clubcard account about whether you want to see Valentine’s themed content. As if enough people don’t already know I’m single, I do not need Shaun at the Tesco’s checkout to know it as well.

Call me old fashioned, but didn’t men used to write us love letters, build us castles, create masterpieces, or even just open a door for us. Why shouldn’t we hold men to movie-level standards and expect to be swept off our feet and kiss in the rain? Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like the effort in most relationships are largely designated to women? I know some men that are an exception to the rule, but Valentine’s Day simply feels like an excuse to make up for all this lack of effort made on the other 364 days.

I would argue that we do not need to assign love to a specific day at all. I know what you’re thinking. It’s nearing impossible to show your love and appreciation for someone on any other day than some random, cold, and gloomy date in mid-February. But believe it or not, I have been known to tell my sister that I love and appreciate her on just a random day in late-August. On top of that, I bought a friend tickets to a movie on a generic day in September.

I know I’m not alone in thinking that Valentine’s Day is just a cheap excuse for love. A day that makes all those pretending to be in happy relationships to shame those who are not, and make them feel less for not having romantic love. Although I love Galentine’s Day, when those gals find themselves in a relationship, they will 100% abandon you for ‘the love of their life’ and romantic Instagram posts. As a history student, of course I had to look into the origins of Valentine’s Day, and apparently, the Victorian era saw Valentine’s as a celebration of familial love and friendships. Compare this to the sexualisation and shaming of singles we see now. The single girlies out there have had to re-create Valentine’s Day into what it was before the couples took over! I suggest that next year we should forcefully ban couples from Valentine’s Day.

I am very aware many of you reading this will disagree with me, and that’s okay. I will probably disagree with my pessimism should I find myself in a happy relationship in the near future. If anyone (preferably a tall, charming and actually funny man) feels like changing my mind, I would really appreciate a true Rom-Com unexpected, chance encounter at Waverley station, ordering a Costa on South Bridge or whilst both reaching for the same book in Blackwell’s or Waterstones.

and how can you mend a broken heart” by katerha is licensed under CC BY 2.0.