• Thu. Jun 13th, 2024

Celebrity double standards

ByMaisie McGuffie

Taylor swift. short blonde hair. two piece pink sparkly outfit

I love Taylor Swift. I think her music is great. Notably she has worked alongside the charities Make-A-Wish-Foundation as well as Stand Up To Cancer. However, missing off her repertoire is working alongside the fight against climate change.

Between January and July 2022, Yard found that Swift’s private jet had taken 170 flights, with total flight emissions coming to 8293.54 tonnes. Her shortest flight was just 36 minutes. Now a representative of Swift stated that she does loan her jet out so these emissions are not all hers. Gosh! What a life! Imagine not just having a private jet but having the luxury of loaning it to others. This is not a personal attack on Taylor herself, other celebrities are not innocent with their climate footprint. Kim Kardashian took 57 flights in the same period. Her shortest flight was 23 minutes, as she naturally decided to fly between two locations in California. 

Why are celebrities not facing the consequences of their actions? Why do people need to take flights that are that short? Not only is that a financial privilege but it also shows that they believe that their time is more important than ours. That their time is more important than the environment. 

Let’s be real, I doubt I will ever travel on a private jet, and my carbon emissions for flights will never reach the same as Taylor Swift’s, but people like me, face much more of a consequence of the environment. We try to make changes in our everyday life that will make a difference, but the nature and attitudes of celebrities mean that our changes are just a drop in the ocean, as they keep destroying the earth. There is a cost to making changes that will have a positive impact on the environment. Products such as reusable menstrual products can be extremely expensive. Three reusable sanitary pads retail for around £11. This just shows how the financial burden of climate change is placed upon ordinary members of society. The media present the changes that we can make as ones that will stop climate change. Now let’s put this into practice. If we all start buying things that are free of plastic will it stop climate change? No. Because celebrities like Taylor Swift and Kim Kardashian will continue to make an absolute heck of an amount of a negative impact on the environment. 

Using menstrual products as an example, highlights how the impact of reusable products are placed as a burden on the consumer, rather than the manufacturer. Whilst I think that we should all be doing our bit for the environment, I think those who are unthinkably rich should also be doing their bit!

It is clear that there is a double standard for the way in which people care about the environment. Some celebrities clearly think that their impact on the environment doesn’t matter. Some will even try and argue that they offset their carbon emissions, which they seemingly think makes it all better. But, ordinary people will continue to pick up the slack and do our bit to avoid the worst that climate change could bring.

Taylor Swift 112” by GabboT is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.

By Maisie McGuffie

Opinion Editor