Culture Music Reviews

Connie Constance’s ‘Hurt You’ : the soundtrack to your ‘villain era’

The latest single and Connie-coined revenge banger: ‘Hurt You’ from English singer-songwriter Connie Constance takes us away to the magical pixie fairy land which she has established and nurtured since the start of her journey creating the upcoming album, Miss Power.

The single is a perfect nod to Connie’s aptness in drawing together defiant contemporary indie sounds with soulful R&B, with moody undertones which align perfectly with the impending moody glooms of early winter in Edinburgh. The intro riff mirrors the post-punk mood of Joy Division’s bassist Peter Hook to perfectly summarise the track’s blend of defiance and sadness in what she hopes to be the soundtrack of your ‘villain era’.

Selected Radio 1’s hottest record from 6th October, Clara Amfo can only encourage us adore her more by describing her as “literally putting the con in consistent” following the success of her previous singles ‘miss power’ and ‘till the worlds awake’ which were released earlier this year. As Spotify’s Equal ambassador for October, we can take some love and empowerment from Connie’s words, lovingly demanding “more women across more genres. More women at festivals. More women producers. More women in music…period”.

Connie Constance @ World Wide Festival in Sète // Trip to France” by Merlijn Hoek is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.