Djokovic withdraws from Indian Wells over vaccination status

ByEdie Holt

The BNP Paribas Open (Indian Wells Masters) is well underway in California, the main draw having started on the 9th of March. As an ATP/WTA 1000 tournament, it is one of the most significant events of the season aside from the four grand slams.

Several key players will be in attendance, including Carlos Alcaraz, Daniil Medvedev, Emma Raducanu and defending champions Taylor Fritz and Iga Swiatek. Unfortunately, there are a few top players who will be sitting it out: Rafael Nadal due to injury, and World No. 1 Novak Djokovic as a result of his vaccination status.

Even though it feels like the world is slowly trying to forget the pandemic, Djokovic’s denied entry to the United States is a reminder that Covid-19 is still a prevalent health issue. It is surprising that, hot off the heels of his Australian Open victory, Djokovic is still being held back by his refusal to get vaccinated. It will certainly be a blow to the Serb, as he is losing the chance to hold on to his ranking. If Alcaraz leaves Indian Wells with the win, he will once again top the leader board and unseat Djokovic.

However, there may be a silver lining to Djokovic’s forced withdrawal. He is currently chasing history, seeking his twenty-third Grand Slam title, which would tie his victories with Serena Williams’ Open Era record. With this as the goal, he can begin preparing for the clay season right away. Injuries permitting, Djokovic will be battling Nadal, the master of clay, for the Roland-Garros Championship in June. Unfortunately for Nadal, his injuries are become more and more frequent, so any head start that Djokovic can get will be significant.

The absence of Djokovic, although disappointing, may make for a more entertaining tournament. Typically, Djokovic dominates his opponents with apparent ease. The Australian Open final between Tsitsipas and Djokovic was arguably anti-climactic, ending in three short sets. Some debated whether Alcaraz’s win at the US Open in 2022 was largely thanks to Djokovic’s absence. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top at Indian Wells.

There is a fairly large crop of Brits who have made it into the main draw, and who will be ones to watch over the coming weeks. Andy Murray looks to be making a surprising comeback. His recent performance at the 2023 Australian Open saw him play better than he has in a while. Other Brits include tenth-seed Cameron Norrie, US Open winner Emma Raducanu, and 21-year-old Jack Draper, who is slowly but surely making his way up the rankings after making an impressive display against Nadal in the first round of the Australian Open.

Thus, despite Djokovic’s withdrawal, the outlook for Indian Wells looks good. Hopefully we will see some interesting tennis, and it is anyone’s guess who the two champions will be at the end.

Image “Novak Djokovic” by Carine06 is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.

By Edie Holt

Opinion Editor