• Tue. Apr 16th, 2024

Drinking dos and don’ts

ByRebecca Higgins

We’ve all been there; the painful pre-drinks. Awkward conversation, the wrong music, and the horrifying drinking games that leave you doubting the night’s potential. With the following tips, hopefully you’ll never find yourself in those dark, anxious moments again.

Hark back to Freshers’ Week, when games made up for the fact that you really did have very little to say – Ring of Fire, anyone? Too much social tension, too many strangers. Take my advice and engage in a game of ‘True American’ (see TV series “New Girl” a watch for further details) instead, or perhaps take note from Ancient History undergraduate Sekheena Deslorieux who encourages us to go big, and give the classic “Fuzzy Duck” a go (Google for further details). Mix it up, so no one has time to get bored.

Next on the list, what music should you play? You must at first consider the kind of atmosphere you’re trying to create – copying the playlist of some obscure DJ that no one has heard of will not impress your guests, but will only confuse them. Chemistry student Morris Trestman recalls the social isolation he experienced following the pretentious playlist he revealed to his peers in the crucial first weeks of term. Whilst some do regretfully still take this approach, others foolishly believe that “#SELFIE” by The Chainsmokers will break the ice. A grave mistake, indeed. My advice: leave the speakers available for everyone to select a song of their choice, and in this way personal judgment will be brought down to a minimum.

The quantity of alcohol to be provided at ‘pres’ is a troublesome issue for any boozy get together: no one wants to appear too stingy, especially to strangers, but at the same time alcohol is expensive (especially on a student budget). We all know that the classic “drinks will be provided but bring your own just in case” event description really just urges you to “bring your own”. Surely as long as you can offer your guests a bottle opener, you won’t appear impolite?

The question of what to choice of drinks to provide is a whole other issue. Most of us students do have a favourite pre-drink choice but it is possible that one may want to occasionally rethink one’s ways. Needless to say, that if you’re still drinking the same beverage that you adopted when you were 15, this definitely applies. The aim here is to take it slow, keeping in mind that you intend to eventually leave your flat. Beer is often a safe option, and remember, gin and tonic is always classy. When being asked about her “ideal pre-drinks”, Fine Art student Sophia Burnell accentuates the primacy of the importance of detail. According to Burnell, “the event will be nothing without the right lighting.” Mood lighting therefore is a key element for a high success rate in these matters. I recommend you take a trip to buy fairy lights immediately, and, for added ambiance, candles will not let you down. Just remember to blow them out before you leave. Safety first.

Lastly, have a distinct plan of action following ‘pres’. Indecision does not go a long way. Have a time organised in advance when you are to leave the flat, and in this way, things are less likely to go wrong or get messy. And one last thing, make sure throughout the evening that everyone is in agreement regarding the night’s destination.Pass on these gems of wisdom to those around you and with these tips and tricks, awkward pre-drinking will hopefully become an issue of the past forever.