Edinburgh University Sports Union round-up

ByJulia Stenhouse

Credit: Craig Doyle

Edinburgh Hare and Hounds smashed their own Cross Country records at the East District XC Relays as the women’s team, made up of Steph Pennycook, Louise Mercer and Catriona Graves, finished second. For the men, Elisha de Mello, Callum Symmons, Andrew Lawler and James Dunn finished third in a time of 50:44, while Euan Gillham secured first place along with Logan Rees, Scott Stirling and Michael Christoforou.

Wednesday was an impressive day for the Women’s Football Club. The 3s won their first match of the season against Queen Margaret 4-1; the 2s finished with an outstanding win 11-1 against Robert Gordon’s; and the 1s also triumphed in an away game against St Andrews 1s 3-0.

In basketball the Men’s 1s were narrowly beaten 68-65 by Strathclyde, while the Women’s 1s succumbed to a strong Loughborough University 1s 55-68. However, the Women’s 2s managed to win 52-35 against Napier University in their second BUCS game of the season.

The Women’s Lacrosse Club’s first team came out on top against Nottingham in the BUCS Premier League 10-7. The 2s fought bravely against Aberdeen, eventually losing 8-11, and the 3s comfortably beat Glasgow 2s 17-2. The men’s side overcame Aberdeen with a 24-2 home victory, leaving them top of the BUCS league.

Edinburgh’s Men’s Hockey 1s got off to their defense of the BUCS North Premier B title with an impressive 6-1 win over Birmingham.

Edinburgh’s Ultimate Frisbee sent three teams to fight against a host of universities from across Scotland. The 3s were on top form to storm all the way to the final where they fell to Heriot-Watt 1s. The 2s went on to win their third-place match against Stirling.

The Tennis Club Men’s 1s saw their first match of the season in the Premier League, losing narrowly 4-8 to Durham. The eagerly anticipated Men’s 2s versus Men’s 3s fixture saw the 2s clinching an 8-4 victory. The Men’s 4s continued their two-years’ running unbeaten form with a 12-0 whitewash. The Women’s 1s grabbed their first victory of the season with a 12-0 win over Strathclyde, with the 2s and 3s repeating the score line against St Andrews 3s and 4s respectively.

Edinburgh Sailing Club’s Yachting team participated in The Ceilidh Cup, which incorporated the SSS Match Racing Championships. As joint winners, EUSC Yachting team returned triumphant from the Royal Northern and Clyde Yacht Club.

Edinburgh University Weightlifting Club participated in the Eastern Regionals weightlifting competition, seeing all three of the lifters medal.

And finally, in netball, Edinburgh 6s took on Queen Margaret 1s in their first BUCS match of the season, leaving with a 56-30 win.

Image courtesy of Craig Doyle