Everything you need to know about the launch of Tinder Uni

ByLiberty Phelan

A relatively dour looking man wearing a costume resembling a phone displaying the Tinder application, with the cutout for the head being situated above the "Swipe Left" and "Swipe Right" buttons.

Tinder, the world’s most popular dating app, has launched a new feature called Tinder Uni.

The feature allows users to limit their potential matches to students from their own university. 

The feature can also be expanded to include students from neighbouring universities. 

When The Student asked Edinburgh students what they thought of the new feature, their reviews were mixed.

Abhishek Bohare, a 26 year old PhD fellow studying particle physics, said: “I never dated an actual girl yet but I am searching for one.

“I think Tinder Uni can be a revolutionary idea for those who are introverted like me and can’t talk directly to girls in college.

“As soon as this feature releases, I am happy to use it.”

Others were less enthusiastic.

Millie, 21, who studies English Literature, said, “I’m not sure that it’s a good thing to be honest.

“I know that it can be hard to meet people in real life, but if you are specifically looking to meet people from the same university there are lots of ways to do that in person within the university sphere.

“It somehow feels a little bit elitist to me if I can say that as a university student.

“It’s leaving out a massive proportion of people in the city that maybe don’t go to uni or are from a different uni to you. 

‘My partner is from a different university and that’s a really good thing I think!’

The feature is already available to use in the U.K – here’s how to access it.

1. Open your Tinder app and tap on your profile icon
  2. Tap Edit Profile
  3. Scroll down to the Education tab to add your university to your profile.
  4. Once you have added your uni, tap on the option to Apply for Tinder Uni
  5. Enter and verify your student email address
  6. You will now have access to the feature 

In 2015, a survey by the University of Surrey found that Edinburgh was the number one city in the UK where students have found love.

53% of Edinburgh graduates surveyed met their spouse or partner while studying in the city.

The new feature is part of Tinder Explore, a part of the app launched last year that you can use to filter matches by shared interests, play games, and have more structured conversations.

Tinder costume” by San Diego Shooter is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.