Fresher’s Hot Picks: Four events to attend in Welcome Week

BySaskia Peach

Another summer is over and another Welcome Week begins. The seven days following September 12th should be crammed with as many freshers’ activities and events as possible (a midst the odd night out). While Welcome Week has countless opportunities to immerse yourself in the culture of the university, we selected four that everyone should be adding to their schedule.

Climb Arthur’s Seat: If you haven’t come around to hiking the volcanic plug yet, this is your chance. There are plenty of guided walks taking place over Welcome Week (so no worrying about getting lost). The views are spectacular and it’s a truly rewarding activity. Plus, where else are you going to eat all that Domino’s free pizza?

Films in the Old Quad: Between Friday the 16th and Sunday the 18th the university is showing a selection of twelve films, ranging from Jaws to The Jungle Book in the Old College Quad. We can guarantee it will be a magical atmosphere and an event to remember, (as long as it doesn’t rain). It’s £10 a ticket but we’d say it’ll definitely be worth it. Don’t forget your popcorn! And maybe an umbrella…

Open Mic Night: Taking place at 19:30 on Thursday in the New Amphion, Open Mic Night is an evening full of music, poetry and a whole lot of laughter. It’s a great chance to meet new people and show off your skills, whatever they might be, or seat back and enjoy the captivating performances. No ticket, no cost, just talent.

The Freshers’ Freeshop: It is exactly what it sounds like. For a few hours on Friday, Potterow turns into a treasure trove of free goodies, al donated by past students. If you turn up early enough, you’ll be able to get your hands on all sorts of home-ware, stationary, small pieces of furniture and much more. When we say turn up early, we mean it, because the queues can be as long as those for the Big Cheese on a Saturday night. This is an unmissable event, if only for the freebies.

Image: Marina Cirio

By Saskia Peach

Saskia is a fourth year studying linguistics & psychology. She first wrote for The Student during Freshers’ of first year and has continued to write ever since. In her second year she became editor of the lifestyle section, and in her third year she became Editor in Chief. After completing her terms as Editor in Chief she took financial responsibility for the paper, and nowadays she plans their social events. Saskia really loves The Student.