• Fri. May 17th, 2024

Fringe 2023: Tamsyn Kelly – Crying in TK Maxx

ByIone Gildroy

Tamsyn Kelly wears a huge orange tulle dress that fans out around her dramatically.

Tamsyn Kelly’s beautifully named stand-up hour explores how men have shaped her life, a story which traces from her childhood to today. She asks herself, and the audience, what effect men such as her father, the chicken shop man, and even Mr Blobby have had on her.

Kelly is a confident stand up, who addresses the audience very casually, pint in hand. Jokes land easily and the friendly atmosphere created by her way of speaking makes the audience feel comfortable and very at ease, allowing Kelly to really shine.

To start with, Kelly tells the audience of a conversation she recently had with her mother about if people ever really change, a question that also runs throughout the show. Kelly is more cynical than her mother, in that she doesn’t believe people are truly multifaceted. Kelly uses this concept to discuss several stories and characters, eventually culminating in a final answer.

Kelly is in control throughout the show, getting laughs when she wants them, and is a natural and talented storyteller. She explores both light-hearted things and also the darker sides of her humour and personality, such as her first rectal exam, her relationship with her estranged father, and her time doing jury service.

Kelly also discusses her childhood and growing up in a working-class household. These stories are ones we don’t often see at the Fringe, so it is important that comics such as Kelly are given a platform to share their stories. 

Tamsyn Kelly: Crying in TK Maxx is a very relaxed and funny exploration of a few key questions that are on Kelly’s mind, with a very unexpected ending. There are a few times when jokes don’t get quite the reaction perhaps expected, but Kelly is confident enough as a comic to not allow this to affect her at all.

Tamsyn Kelly: Crying in TK Maxx is at the Pleasance Courtyard at 8.40pm until 27 August.

Image provided to The Student as press material.

By Ione Gildroy

Former Deputy Editor-in-Chief Former News Editor