From Braverman to Cameron – what is going on?

ByLily Tucker

David Cameron speaking and gesturing.

Braverman’s removal from cabinet to Cameron stepping out the Land-Rover at Downing Street has sent shock waves around the country. It seems impossible to tell which has gathered more attention, the internet has been filled with those celebrating Braverman’s exit and those shocked at Cameron’s return. But rather than get caught up in the chaos that is the current Tory cabinet we must turn a sharper eye to exactly what is happening in this situation. What is the greater plan at hand? Because whilst the Tories may sometimes behave like idiots this is clearly one of Sunak’s more thought out and calculated decisions. So, what’s at play? 

A friend of Cameron has stated that his return to power has been in the works for over a month. In the UK a person can become a member of the cabinet if they are either an elected MP with constituency and a seat in the House of Commons or they are given a Lordship and therefor a seat in the House of Lords. Cameron has not been an MP since 2016 (he represented Witney). So why would Sunak appoint an unelected minister who famously hated Brexit as Foreign Secretary?

Camerons anonymity has many benefits for Sunak. Firstly, he now has a Secretary who has been out of the public eye, whose potential policies and currently political opinions are somewhat unknown. This means they can be adapted and modified to that which seems more digestible than Braverman’s. Secondly, Cameron can’t challenge Sunak for a leadership role – he has no constituency. Thirdly, Cameron is considered a ‘serious’ politician – I think Sunak wishes this will help remedy his cabinets current image of a circus of clowns. Finally, Camerons role in the House of Lords comes with benefits. Cameron now can’t take part in debates, questions or presenting of policies that takes place in the House of Commons. This is outrageous and undemocratic, but a tactic to prevent him from Labour scrutiny and maintain the anonymity I mentioned earlier.  The House of Lords is a considerably less challenging landscape for a member of the Tory party which can afford Cameron the room for slip-ups.  

Suella’s sacking is also a deeply considered scheme, one that was honestly most likely made in agreement with Suella herself. But how could this favour Braverman? This, unfortunately, allows Suella a direct path to Tory party leadership and off the sinking ship. She can freely and openly oppose Sunak. She can now place herself as the representative of the far-right and use this position to criticise any Tory move that is remotely centrist. Before leaving, her policies and speeches had become more and more centred around fearmongering and now when her policies are inevitably reversed, she will be able to use the excuse that her plans were never properly implemented and that if given the chance they would have been successful. She has the perfect amount of time to remain relevant but rebrand as someone who opposes Sunak – allowing her to state that extreme measures are necessary but never face the challenge of putting them in place. Unfortunately, she knew it was a good time to leave. The Tory leadership bid will most likely be between her and Farage – like choosing between Scylla and Charybdis. 

Prime Minister David Cameron” by UK Prime Minister is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.