Sport

Glasgow who? Our guide to Scottish football media

When most people think of Scottish Football, they think of two Glaswegian teams in particular. Unfortunately for Partick Thistle fans, that means Celtic and Rangers.

The Old Firm dominate the discussion around the Scottish game for a reason, but it is not a good one. As is too often in modern football, money is what keeps these two clubs at the forefront of the discussion.

Contrary to popular belief, there is so much more to the Scottish Premiership than the two usual suspects, and there is so much more to Scottish football than the Scottish Premiership.

Steve Clarke earned the role of Scotland manager off the back of Kilmarnock mixing it with Scotland’s big two for the majority of 2018-19, while both Aberdeen and Hibernian look capable of bloodying Old Firm noses and the mid and lower end of the Premiership looks tight and competitive.

Despite the challenges posed to football by Covid-19 in Scotland, there has been a resurgence in fan-made media in recent years, so that is why The Student has compiled a guide of where to get your fix of the stories from the beautiful game that do not necessarily involve you-know-who.

A View From The Terrace is a show made by fans, for fans. A group of friends sit around and riff about the full spectrum of football in Scotland. From the Premiership to the junior leagues, these lads get stuck into the lot.

Craig Telfer hosts with a regular panel of Joel Sked, Shaughan McGuigan and Robert Borthwick that make you feel part of the conversation. And importantly, that conversation goes well beyond the Old Firm.

Irreverent, funny and relatable, this show is a glowing advertisement for the game that fights the corner of fans across the country.

A View from the Terrace is on BBC Scotland at 22.30 every Friday.

Self-described as ‘the Scottish Football Periodical’, Nutmeg magazine is always incredibly well put together and thought-provoking.
After crowdfunding for the first issue in 2016, the periodical has proven a success and is now on issue 17, published every 3 months.

A collaborative effort between fans, journalists, editors, photographers, artists and more to produce a thought-provoking, reflective and often romantic read, Nutmeg leaves you yearning for the past and dreaming of the future. The love of the game on every page of this publication is contagious.

The magazine also has a podcast (who doesn’t at this point?) if £10 is too steep for you, but Nutmeg is well worth your investment and is a sterling example of how there is more about football in Scotland than there appears at first glance.

You can buy Issue 17 of Nutmeg online at nutmegmagazine.co.uk or at Six Yard Box in Edinburgh.

Local journalism is at the heart of the fan experience of Scottish Football, and there is no better example of this in action than the Northern Goal podcast.

Brought to streaming services courtesy of the sports desks at the Press and Journal and Evening Express newspapers, there are few that know more about football in the North than the team on the airwaves here.

Focusing exclusively on the Highlands and North East, this is the perfect fusion of years of experience covering football with a modern format.

Covering Premiership teams Aberdeen and Ross County, the Highland League, and the northern representation in all the leagues in between, this podcast is proof that interest and passion for football outside of the central belt is alive and well.

Started this January, the podcast’s weekly coverage was soon disrupted by the pandemic, but that was not enough to stop the production of thought-provoking lockdown content. The interview with former Inverness and Aberdeen midfielder Greg Tansey was a particular highlight.

The Northern Goal podcast is released every Tuesday.

Image: D. Richardson via Flickr