Features Lifestyle

Halloween 2020: COVID edition

Halloween has been my favourite holiday ever since I was young and discovered that if I knocked on people’s doors in a cute costume, I could get free candy.

For those of us who are well past our trick or treating days, the possibilities of celebration are endless, even with COVID hanging in the air. There are still ways in which we can enjoy (in my opinion), one of the most delightful holidays of all.

The first step is always decoration; now that most of our classes are virtual, it allows you to dress your room up in all kinds of the spooky and fantastic galore. It’s easy enough to find Halloween decorations at an affordable price in local bargain shops in Edinburgh as well as Amazon. My favourite item of this year is a string of jack-o- lantern lights hung around my mirror and fake cobwebs that give your room a haunted feel and are easy to place wherever you would like.

If you’re not much of the decorating type, you can never go wrong with a movie marathon especially since Halloween has such a great mix. Set up a countdown to Halloween as you would with Christmas and give yourself some much-needed relaxation time every night by watching a Halloween classic such as any movie made by Tim Burton or a horror movie if you’re up for it!

Some personal favourites: The Nightmare Before Christmas, Frankenweenie, Hocus Pocus, The Addams Family, and last but not least Dark Shadows. For those of you who prefer a night of horror rather than my version of horrific comedy, I recommend going on a classic horror movie hunt.

For those of you always look forward to the social aspect of Halloween and find yourself missing the joy of dressing up with friends and going out, there are still ways in which you can spend time with the ones you love.

Along with corralling your friends or family into joining you for virtual movie nights, you can also try out pumpkin carving- designate a judge and carve your pumpkins together.

If you aren’t a fan of spilling pumpkin guts, sign up for a ghost tour around Edinburgh. Though many things are closed right now, walks are still something you can schedule if booked beforehand.

And if you prefer a more traditional Celtic celebration, book your tickets now for the virtual Samhain Fire Festival before tickets sell out.

Most importantly, don’t be afraid to dress up. Just because you might not have somewhere to go doesn’t mean it makes it can’t still be a fun time and if you don’t want to go all out, some costumes require minimal effort to put together.

In times such as these, it can be arduous to get excited about holidays and pumpkin carvings. But as a friend of mine told me some time ago, holidays are a way of taking our minds off the real world and making a conscious effort to enjoy the time we have.

So this Halloween, whether you enjoy it or not (in which case we can’t be friends), take this time to slow down and enjoy the time you have with the people around. You won’t regret what’s to come!

Illustration: Tabitha Gibb

By Ece Kucuk

Ece Kucuk served as President of The Student in 2021/22 and is currently a regular contributor to the paper. She was previously Head Editor-in-Chief and Features Editor, she has also been a writer at The Student for over two years. She is going into her Fourth Year of a Master of Arts with Honours in English Language and Literature and plans to do her Postgraduate in Education and Child Development. She has written for every section of the paper as well as written for The Rattlecap and other publications. Some of her favourite works include her reflection on being the child of an immigrant, her piece on introducing ice hockey, as well as her interview with children’s author Mariam James.