• Wed. Apr 17th, 2024

Hat-trick of victories for EUWAFC as third team enjoys debut

ByJoanne Russell

Oct 13, 2015

Last Wednesday proved to be a successful day for EUWAFC. The day was particularly special, as it saw the 3rd team were play their first  competitive game after being entered in the league. Despite having never played competitively as a team before, expectations to perform well were raised after their 5-0 win in a pre-season friendly against St Andrews  just a week before.

Not letting the rain deter them, both teams got stuck in as the game got underway. 12 minutes in and a foul against QMU just outside the box gave them a great opportunity, which they capitalised on, sending the ball flying straight into the upper right corner. With a renewed desire to win, EUWAFC fought back and Laura Ulsig broke past the line of defence and scored Edinburgh’s first goal making it 1-1. Tensions were high and the first half ended one a piece.

As the second half got underway, despite QMU’s efforts to move up towards goal, EUWAFC’s defence remained strong and just five minutes into the second half, the ball was played up through the centre; a strong pass and a brilliant run put the Edinburgh side ahead. With confidence growing, EUWAFC gave QMU almost no time to recover and Mel was back in the box to score an all-important third goal for Edinburgh. Not giving up, QMU pushed forward and found some momentary weakness in EUWAFC’s defence, scoring themselves their second goal making it 3-2.

With the game still having the potential to go either way, EUWAFC made a final effort to cement their victory in the first game of the season. A strong save by the QMU keeper ensured QMU did not concede a goal for the remainder of the game. As the keeper made yet another spectacular save, the whistle blew to signal the end of the match, giving the 3rds all three points.

Across the other side of Peffermill Edinburgh Uni’s 2nd team faced off against St. Andrews’ 2nd team. Edinburgh started strong but just a few minutes into the game the St. Andrews striker had a lucky run on goal which had everyone worried. Edinburgh quickly regained the ball, though, and made a solid drive down the field ending with the first goal of the match by Amy Gilroy, a low hard ball in the left corner of the net.

At times the match was scrappy but Edinburgh mostly dominated the play, putting together some good passing sequences and scoring some great goals. St Andrews, given the talent in their team, deservedly pulled two goals back but the match ended 6-2 overall with a strong performance from Edinburgh’s 2nd team and a solid win. Two more goals from Amy Gilroy earnt her a hat-trick, and goals from Jodie Ovens, Shannon Urquhart, and Eva Steele completed the day.

The 1st team travelled to Glasgow to play a recently promoted Strathclyde side and 10 minutes into the game the home team proved why they deserved their place in the top league. A great strike from the edge of the box followed by a top delivery from a corner saw the home side 2-0 up. Edinburgh, however, fought back and after some great play the visiting side ended the first half leading 3-2.

In the second half Edinburgh continued to dominate bagging themselves another four goals. Captain Hannah Craig scored her first goal for the club with a nice finish past the Strathclyde keeper into the bottom right hand corner whilst first year Beth Macleod bagged herself a hat-trick. The game ended 7-2, thus maintaining the team’s unbeaten streak after two matches. EUWAFC enjoyed three wins out of three for this week. The club now look towards their fixtures next week. The 1st team travel to take on St Andrews and, hoping to remain undefeated. EUWAFC 3rd team will be playing Stirling 2nd team.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *