• Sun. May 19th, 2024

How to beat the New Year blues

ByMissy Hingley

School children crossing road in the rain

The new year has always been a tricky time of year: we are officially halfway through the academic year, attempting to keep on top of our New Year’s resolutions, as well as trying to power through to end the year on a high. It certainly isn’t helpful when the weather tries to wreck these ambitious plans, cocooning us in endless wind and rain that makes you anxious to even sit near a window.  In the depths of winter, Edinburgh tends to soak up the positivity we gathered on the train back, and it can sometimes be easy to lose sight of your Semester 2 intentions. To brighten the mood in these darkened times, I suggest distraction and keeping yourself busy wherever possible–though maybe not outside–with these recommendations intending to prioritise both your physical and mental health.

Occupying your time by trying new cafes or catching up with friends is a good way to boost your  endorphins and productivity in the new year. I always find that the cafes not directly near main campus  are best, as it can be very crowded and repetitive when visiting the Starbucks on Middle Meadow Walk for the fourth day in a row! In my opinion, there are plenty of cafes that are balanced in their decor, aesthetic and motivational vibes, with some of my favourites being: Lovecrumbs, Union Brew Lab, Levels and Black Medicine. Finding a coffee shop that you can be productive in is a staple when you begin to feel yourself slumping at this time of year. Whether you go to get some university reading done, or your cafe just does the best iced vanilla latte in town, there’s nothing wrong with becoming a regular.

Another thing I find myself doing at this time of year is creating light or sense of ambience wherever  possible–anything to counteract the 80mph gusts of wind that are quite literally blowing me away! Both  physically and metaphorically, you can brighten the mood in your room with calming LED strips and find or create a personal playlist that plays your favourite uplifting tunes whenever you must brave the walk to George Square. Knowing when you need to take a break is also important, and even at University we must try not to neglect little moments of self-care; this could be spending your student loan on that cheeky Nando’s or listening to your body telling you that it needs a lie in. We all have the ability to self sabotage ourselves at this time of year, driving our minds fatigued over the unrealistic resolutions we placed on ourselves, but it is healthier to establish a routine that is both realistic and the best of both worlds: 100% uni attendance and a weekly cheeky takeaway (or maybe two).

But if there is one thing to take away at this time of year in Scotland, if you’re going to brave the weather, wrap up warm and don’t forget an umbrella!

School Kids Crossing Church Street in Rain” by Lynn Friedman is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.