How will the upcoming RMT strikes affect Eurovision?

ByNaomi Wallace

May 4, 2023

I have to hand it to the RMT; placing the upcoming rail strikes on the weekends of the Eurovision song contest in Liverpool, and the FA Cup final at Wembley, is a stroke of genius. Industrial action is supposed to disrupt, and this undoubtedly will. However, despite having previously been in complete support of rail strikes, regardless of how they have inconvenienced me, I have hesitations this time. Though I still lean in favour of the RMT’s continued strike action, these strikes will collaterally affect the North-West of England specifically, and this just doesn’t sit right with me.

Eurovision is Liverpool’s moment. It could have gone anywhere in the UK, but no – this little city on the river Mersey was given the honour of hosting the international event for the first time the UK has done so since 1998. As a city, it has been through so much; from devastating deprivation under Thatcher, the effects of which are still noticeable, to abhorrent demonisation by the press in the aftermath of the 1989 Hillsborough disaster. 

It is so exciting that Liverpool, a city of vibrant culture and an historic music scene, is getting a chance to be seen on the global stage as the host of the highly anticipated annual song competition. It really is a shame, therefore, that the rail strikes stand to cause chaos for those attempting to travel to the Eurovision final on 13th May, especially given that this will include many international guests who must fly to London airports to arrive in the UK. 

Here’s my worry about the rail strikes happening on Eurovision weekend: Eurovision is an international event, to be attended by visitors from across the continent. The magnifying glass is on the UK, and Liverpool in particular, so whatever happens reflects on us, as a country. If the industrial action causes the carnage it is designed to, and Eurovision is a mess, it is Liverpool who come off looking bad (even though Merseyrail will operate as usual). This is not me being overly cynical about where blame will be directed; time and time again the city and its citizens are vilified by the press, even when it has nothing to do with them. 

I can absolutely see any issues with Eurovision that are caused by travel being pinned on Liverpool being an inadequate host for the event. I wish the RMT would have recognised that this Eurovision is a chance for a less-privileged city in the North-West to show its worth, and I truly feel so disappointed that this may be tainted by mass disruption on the railways.

It’s a similar issue with the FA Cup final. As a Liverpool fan I don’t support either Manchester City or Manchester United, but for rail strikes to fall on the day that two North-West teams are playing a cup final in London feels harsh. One solution would be to move the match somewhere more local where fans can easily travel, but then they would miss out on the experience of watching the two teams play at Wembley Stadium. Again, it feels like the North-West is specifically going to lose out thanks to the upcoming strikes.

I have gone back and forth contemplating whether to write this piece, as someone who is substantially left-wing and overwhelmingly in support of industrial action. I’d hate to come across as though I don’t understand why the strikes are important and would never suggest they should not be permitted. However, I do not think that the RMT have been at all considerate in having the strike dates coincide with two events that specifically affect the North-West. I really see both sides of the debate, but ultimately, cannot suppress my disappointment over the potential damage that may be done in this case.

RMT members and supporters protesting about City Link assault on pay and conditions” by Roger Blackwell is licensed under CC BY 2.0.

By Naomi Wallace

Welfare Officer