Music Singles

‘Ice V’ sees a new era for King Gizzard

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard (KGLW)’s single ‘Ice V’ was released on the 7th September 2022 ahead of their album Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms And Lava – since then they have released three albums, providing their fans more than two hours worth of new content to feast on over the short span of twenty-one days. The experimental psychedelic band explored a new style with this track, preparing listeners for their new era.

The ten minutes and fifteen seconds long single begins with a sped up and reversed sample (yet to be identified), before diving into a Jazz-Funk inspired sound. Lyrics of the song relate to other tracks from the album on which it features, making clear references to each article in the album’s title.

The single works best as a song on the album, which would be a flaw if it weren’t for the high quality of the other featuring songs, allowing a dynamic yet consistent experience. ‘Ice V’ is a song which is easy to listen to passively, so it’s a great choice to study to, but it can also be explored on deeper layers. KGLW know how to create an interesting track, in ‘Ice V’, the Australian band make use of syncopation, backing vocals and jazz instruments.

However, ‘Ice V’ is more suitable to the seasoned KGLW listener, so would not be recommended as a first introduction to the band. A more appropriate initiation into the world of Gizzard may be their 22nd studio album, Omnium Gatherum, which displays the band’s versatility and full range over an incredible eighty minutes.

Image “King Gizzard 10” Stephen Sloggett Photography is licensed under CC BY 2.0.