• Sat. Jun 22nd, 2024

Investigation finds challenges faced by students in year abroad applications

Students at a study abroad fair with country flags decorating the ceiling

An investigation conducted by The Student has found that students at the University of Edinburgh have had a variety of issues when applying for their year abroad. 

The University of Edinburgh organises year abroad applications through the Study and Work Away Service (SWAY).

Applications are considered on academic record, a personal statement from the student and their “linguistic suitability.”

A student’s grade from their first year of study is usually taken into account, due to the beginning of the application process beginning at the start of second year. 

The Student interviewed students highlighting a variety of issues with the application process for a year abroad with the University. 

Students currently taking part in their Year Abroad have said that host universities have not been made aware of students failing their required modules. 

This has resulted in students being contacted constantly for information regarding their attendance, when the student has not reached the requirements to partake in a Year Abroad. 

Current year abroad students have also described endless amounts of paperwork, in a staggered application process which cannot be completed in one go. 

There have also been accounts of some students having their applications clash with exam season. 

A student described needing “superhuman levels of organisation” to fulfil their Year Abroad application. 

There is also a relative variation within requirements for Year Abroad applications for different degree areas. 

For example, degrees with a higher fail rate in the first year, means that students are less likely to attend a Year Abroad, based upon their first year grades. 

The University of Edinburgh has also recently introduced the Turing scheme. 

The Turing scheme was introduced by the UK government as a replacement for the Erasmus exchange scheme.

Described as a support for “Global Britain by providing an opportunity for UK organisations from the higher education, further education… and training and school sectors.”

The Turing Scheme also states that they “will support social mobility and widen participation across the UK”. 

A recent article by the Guardian, which featured a report on the Turing scheme, said that 79% of students had issues applying for the Turing scheme. 

This is something that students have mentioned in their interviews, with incidents of paperwork being sent back to students multiple times. 

Study Abroad Fair” by roanokecollege is licensed under CC BY 2.0.