• Wed. Jun 26th, 2024

Is Valentine’s Day getting a bit….dated?

ByCourtney O'Hara

photo of a calendar with a love heart drawn around February 14th - valentines day

Something is in the air. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s the season we singletons dread – Valentine’s Day. 

And it’s all around. Every time you dip into a shop, there are the usual cutesy cards that promise sweet nothings and stuffed bears whose beady eyes you can see your reflection in. You look…sickened. Everywhere you go, the only people that seem to exist are couples packing on the PDA. When they kiss, their lips mouth the words: look at us, jealous yet? And why is it that Netflix can’t stop recommending you watch ‘The Notebook’ when you’ve seen it more times than you care to admit (if only for Ryan Gosling)? The season of love is truly here, but what does this mean for the rest of us? 

When we think of Valentine’s Day, we think of two things: eating spag-bol Lady and the Tramp style with a romantic partner or belting out sad love ballads to the cat with, naturally, a bottle of vodka in hand. It’s as if the holiday is designed for couples only, and anyone who isn’t in one is made to feel sad, pathetic, and alone. But if Valentine’s Day is the season of love, then why don’t we celebrate love in all its forms? Why does romantic love always take precedence over, say, the love we feel for our friends? 

Think about it. Have you ever experienced that momentary realisation that you may never have as deep and meaningful of a connection with a romantic partner as much as you do with your best friend(s)? Perhaps it was when you were laughing hysterically at a joke they just told, when they had done something thoughtful for you, or even when you were simply just existing together. Whatever it was, something inside shifts, and a tidal wave of adoration washes over you. Looking at them, you think, ‘I really love you, you know. Do you have any idea how much I love you?’ Of course, it’s a different variation of love than romantic love, but it still matters just as much – if not more. And it’s time we recognised this instead of desperately trying to find anyone who has lips to kiss on February 14th

I’m sure we can all agree that Valentine’s is slightly… dated (excuse the pun). In today’s age, it should be more inclusive, diverse and with the times. If this means staying in and cooking (or should I say burning) dinner with your flatmates, then so be it. Whoever you spend Valentine’s Day with, there should be no shame in it so long as you love them – whatever that means to you. What is shameful is wallowing in self-pity and plucking up any old Tom, Jack or Harry at the club. So, let’s free ourselves from cupid’s chokehold and let our friends know how much we appreciate them because if we can’t on Valentine’s Day, when can we? Move over, Valentine, Saint ‘Palentine’ is in town.

Image Credit:Valentine’s Day 2012 Calendarby danielmoyle is licensed under CC BY 2.0.