Lentil and carrot soup with cumin, crispy leeks and cheese

Storm Dennis/ Ellen? Need a mid-week pick me up?

A hearty bowl of warm goodness should do the trick, with, like any good thing, a hint of cheese. Perfect for a lighter dinner, or stored in a flask for a filling and tasty lunch on the go. This soup can also be made in bulk and then frozen and defrosted when needed.

This recipe serves 4

Ingredients:

2 tsp. cumin seeds 2 tbsp. olive oil

1 tsp. chilli oil

1 tsp chili flakes

1 tsp. rose harissa paste

600g carrots, chunked (no need to peel, just rinse)

500ml veggie stock

150g red lentils, soaked

1 tin of coconut milk

1 leek

Good grating of cheese (I go for emmental but whatever tickles your fancy)

Wedge of tasty bread or any other dipping vessel (oat cakes are another good option)

Method:

Chop up all your veggies into small chunks (no need to dice them, just small enough so that they’ll cook quickly.)

Grab a large pan and ramp up the heat to medium; toss in the cumin seeds to get those aromatic scents brewing for a couple of minutes.

Pour in the oils, chilli flakes and harissa. (Careful when smelling the pan at this point as the waft of chilli is quite a potent beast. You learn that the hard way).

Chuck in the chunked carrots and veggie stock then cover with a lid and bring to boil.

Add the soaked lentils and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring and checking ever so often for the carrots to soften.

Leave the pan to cool for a bit and transfer to a counter, blending with a handheld blender until smooth.

Pour in the coconut milk and stir well.

In a frying pan heat a tablespoon of olive oil and lightly fry the leeks until crispy.

Ladle the soup into a bowl and grate on the cheese, leaving it to sit until it melts.

Sprinkle on the crispy leek and get slurping, using your bread to mop up the final dregs of spicy goodness.

This recipe can be modified to use up any of your leftover vegetables at the end of the week. Butternut squash and yellow peppers are also a good addition.

Image Credit: James Cohen via Wikimedia Commons