Let’s talk about sex, baby

Even though nobody is quite sure why, sex is still what we all associate with a “taboo” subject. Sure, there are some who are loud and proud about their sexual prowess and regular achievements in that department, but for others, it’s something that they’d understandably rather keep to themselves.

If you haven’t already been faced with the montage of Otis masturbating in the first five minutes of episode one from Netflix’s Sex Education (Season Two), then you’re in for a confrontational treat. What makes this series enticing and so binge- worthy, is its relatability to issues that a lot of us would rather pretend we have never faced.

Whether it be problems in the bedroom with your significant other, sexual health scares or even the lonely escapades of a single student making their way through university, there is something for everyone and it may make you feel slightly less alone in whatever it is you’re going through.

We’re all well aware of the student stereotyping where STI’s swarm the campus and get passed around about as easily as nits in primary school, yet nobody ever opens up about it.

Whilst we’re all somewhat well informed about getting regular sexual health checks if/when you are sexually active, we all tend to avoid them like the plague in the fear of what we might find out we’ve had all along.

Realistically, and cliché as it may be, it really is better to be safe than sorry. Not to mention, the long-term effect of untreated STI’s is far worse than the short-term slight embarrassment, so a check-up is always worth the hassle.

A study conducted by The Student Room found that 58 per cent of sexually-active students said they had never been tested for STI’s; never!

If you find that surprising, what’s worse is that they found 56 per cent of students were too embarrassed to buy condoms…if safe sex is ‘too embarrassing’ then we all really are doomed.

As time moves on however, sex is something that is slowly but surely beginning to be embraced more openly. Feminist or not (and you should be), a lot of the changes we’re seeing are in relation to female sexual liberation. The #MeToo movement has seen a “global feminist awakening” in which women are finally taking charge of their own bodies and prioritising their own sexual satisfaction above anything else. Sex is no longer the hyper-masculine, objectifying discussion it once was.

We should strive to ensure that talking about sex is normalised. Alongside other ‘taboo’, subjects such as periods, mental health and political views, sex should be up there with the topics that young people thrive upon.

Hopefully this liberation and the normalisation of sex-related disucssion will lead to a step in the right direction for all-round better and safer sex for all!

Illustration Credit: Kat Cass