Art Culture

‘Little Works, Big on Colour’ – what the Royal Glasgow Institute is offering in lockdown

Interaction of Colour: Little Works, Big on Colour’ is a digitally displayed exhibition that has been hosted by the Royal Glasgow Institute´s Kelly Gallery. It presents a diverse range of vibrant artwork and is sorely needed for those who wish to escape the mundanity of lockdown and have missed mulling over art as galleries remain closed to the public.

Produced by RGI members and based on the theme ‘Interactions of Colour’, which is inspired by Josef Albers’s book of the same title, the exhibition features works of so many styles and mediums that there is sure to be something to suit everyones tastes.

Examples range from acrylic paintings such as Depth by Susan Patterson and ‘The Doctors House, Kerala by Rosemary Beaton; to the stained-glass And you, my father by Kate Henderson; to oil-based pieces like Edge Land by Amanda Adam and Pink Blink by Rowena Comrie.

Scrolling down the webpage offers an unpredictable experience of viewing an exhibition as you can’t know for certain what the next work will look like until it appears at the bottom of your screen. Since no two pieces are the same, it’s fascinating to see how the artists have interpreted for themselves what an interaction of colours can consist of, and its meaning.

Although there are certainly several dedications to Scottish landscapes and scenery, which use a more muted palette and focus on harsher contrasts of light and darkness, other artists have taken inspiration from the use of colour in foreign countries, which emphasise more vividness.

What makes the exhibition a success with its theme is the suggestion that colour, and how we perceive it, is a personal and subjective journey that can reflect a person’s likes and dislikes, emotional state, and how we present ourselves to the world.

As we remain in lockdown and are likely to be staring at walls of the same colour every day, Interaction of Colour: Little Works, Big on Colour is a mode of escapism, just for a short while, that can teach us a plethora of ways to interpret hues and their connections to one another.

Image: Depth by Susan Patterson via of RGI