Live review: Jacques Greene’s homecoming show for LuckyMe

Last week saw French-Canadian producer and LuckyMe artist Jacques Greene brace the gloomy streets of Glasgow to play a homecoming-show of sorts, alongside Montreal-based purveyor of bootyhouse, Martyn Bootyspoon. Bootyspoon navigates the mood of his audience well, shepherding what begins as a shy congregation of semi-enthusiastic sway-ers into a crowd of serious movers by the time Greene has taken his place behind the decks.

Jacques Greene ascends in a godlike manner to his laptop/deck setup as though it is an altar. Framed by chipped concrete walls rising high above him, the strips of LCD lighting which flash in the hues of his sophomore album, Dawn Chorus, cast shadows which flicker around the hallowed venue. He raises a glass of champagne to his audience, saluting to them over the droning which carries the end of M Bootyspoon’s set into his own. As he settles into the myriad of switches and wires before him, and the whispering vocal sample of ‘Stars’ begins to echo around the room. Greene is at ease as he melts into his newest single, ‘Do It Without You’, fuelling the vigour of his audience effortlessly.

Skilfully directing the set in a fluent response to his audience, Greene maps out a selection of tracks which each time are better received than the previous. He raises his arms to us, clasping them together in a gesture of his gratitude. Roars of applause come close to drowning out the sound which still seeps out of the stacks of speakers framing his stage. Somewhere at the back of the room comes the familiar calls of “one more tune”, which have become synonymous with Glasgow nightlife. Greene teases for a moment before launching into his set once again. The familiar tones of a ‘White Ferrari’ edit which can be found only in the depths of Soundcloud begin to swell throughout the venue, and Ocean’s voice sweeps through the room, carrying with it a surge of elation throughout the crowd. Swedgered teenagers throw their arms around one another, with cheers of “good time” being bellowed over the track. Sweat glistens on the faces of those at the fore of the room, as the audience rises and falls over and over in a wavelike motion. As his set draws to a close, the lights framing him splutter out hues of every variety one last time.

Image: Maciej Kawka