• Sun. Jun 23rd, 2024

LOOK NOW by Oscar Lang – QUICK REVIEWS

ByRosie Hodgson Smith

Jul 21, 2023
"Oscar Lang" by Jon Hill is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0

LOOK NOW, released on 21 July, is Oscar Lang’s much anticipated sophomore album. Each track swirls with bass and vocals and a deep instrumental range through piano and strings. The opening alternative sound of ‘A Song About Me’ sets the tone of conjuring such blissfully vivid visuals of surreal vintage styles and scenes, while hitting your heart hard and brutally.

The track-list develops stunningly with thriving light drums, piano, and again building vocal harmonies into ‘Leave Me Alone’. He takes the gnarlier path through ‘Blow Ur Cash’ in jarring samples, accompanied of course with perfect bass, into ‘Circle Line’ which catalogues “another day in a place called home”.

LOOK NOW leaves you drained of everything you have, the most intense point of this is ‘On God’, dedicated to Lang’s mum, with simple but overwhelming piano and vocals. He pushes on through the lush tracks of ‘One Foot First’ that eagerly grabs you to sing with a weaving melody, and ‘When You Were A Child’ that again overwhelmingly hits you with deep piano and beautiful vocals (featuring Molly Payton) that drops you at the end of the album without a leg to stand on.

I have been listening to Oscar Lang since I was 16, now I am 20, and this album helps me find myself again, creatively and sonically. For me this album encapsulates stumbling into adulthood, the relationships, troubles, and emotions you get wrapped up in. Sit and listen to it with headphones at 3am, or if you are blessed with a good set of stereo speakers, they will serve you up a treat.

Oscar Lang” by Jon Hill is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0