Meal Deal Heartache

I love a meal deal. It is convenient for everyday student life, and for the £3 it costs, also a pretty decent for the student budget. In February, Tesco increased the price from £3 to £3.50, however, with your Clubcard the price stayed the same at £3. So, whilst there was the price increase, your Clubcard had you covered and I don’t know many students without one. So despite that news, I have spent the best part of the last 8 months with a meal deal in my life, happy and content. 

However, it was recently announced that the price would be increasing from £3.50 to £3.90 and even with your Clubcard, the price is jumping up to  £3.40. It’s intriguing to note that in the last 8 months nothing about the meal deal has changed, except the price. No increase in quality, no noticeable difference in ingredients or upgrades in packaging. Tesco is expecting the same product to be miraculously accepted at a higher cost. With the current cost of living crisis,it’s  unsurprising that companies are having to put up prices, and Tesco is not alone in this. Even though Tesco’s operating profit has dropped by 43.6% in six months, £736 million in profit isn’t too shabby. 

My upset isn’t really focused on the meal deal. Due to the extensive levels of marketing that Tesco do, this price increase of 90p and 40p has been made obvious to customers, regardless of Clubcard status. However, some of the other price increases haven’t been as blatantly publicised, meaning the price of your basket has been totting up rapidly without you noticing. I don’t think that a multimillion-pound corporation is maintaining the favour of the public, especially when Nicholson Street has two other chain Supermarkets to choose from. The burden of the price increase has been passed onto the customer and in unprecedented times, this doesn’t go down too well.

Now, it does have to be said that depending on the combination of your meal deal, £3.40 can still be a bargain. A naked smoothie by itself is £2.36, so with a sandwich and a snack is an undeniably good deal and you can get your money’s worth. This is just one example of how the cost of products has been passed onto the consumer, and up and down the country students on mass purchase meal deals. So why alienate this group of consumers? Around campus, other establishments offer quick and convenient food at a competitive rate, and Tesco isn’t giving us reasons to stay customers for much longer.

Would I buy another meal deal? I can’t wholeheartedly say no. But, the price increase means I could get a quick and convenient lunch from other places. I would be happier giving my money to a local independent business, rather than a large chain who are trying to increase profits, ultimately hitting us during this cost of living crisis. 

File:Meal Deal in Tesco.jpg” by Philafrenzy is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.