Mother’s Day 2021: what to do?

After a year of missed and cancelled celebrations, Mother’s Day is fast approaching. For so many families, our mums are the backbone of emotional and practical support, brought even more into focus during lockdown, where many of us students returned to our family homes. Spending such an extended period at home meant it was easy to take for granted how much my mum actually did for me – it was only on returning to my student flat and being faced with a mountain of washing and no food, that it became painfully clear!

Mother’s Day this year will be a sad and challenging day for many: those who have been separated from their families for months, those who have lost their mothers, or those who have a difficult relationship with family, exacerbated by the pandemic. This year it is particularly important to me to celebrate and appreciate my mum, as my family will be separated on Mother’s Day – my mum will be in hospital looking after my sister, who has a chronic illness. Despite the demands of her role as a carer, she is there for me without fail, on the end of the phone, to listen to my endless flat and study woes. Her constant emotional support has kept me going through this immensely difficult year, and she is my inspiration everyday, because of the selfless way she cares so deeply for others. 

We are now a year into the pandemic, and many of us are running out of creative ways to connect with those we love: while Zoom was a novelty during the first lockdown, after months of online lectures and meetings, it has quite frankly become a chore. It is particularly difficult to mark special occasions like Mother’s Day, as many families have either been separated for months, or confined together following a monotonous routine.

As many of us students will not be able to see our mums, I have compiled some slightly more inventive ways to make your mum feel especially appreciated from afar, this Mother’s Day. 

A painting or hand-drawn card 

Reminiscent of the drawings we would proudly present our mums with on Mother’s Day during our primary school years, a hand drawn or painted card could be a special and personal way to show your mum how much you appreciate her. Even if your skills haven’t greatly improved since primary school, I am sure that being gifted a special drawing will make her just as happy as it did back then. This is also easily posted, meaning it is achievable for those of us who are separated. 

Dried flowers, in place of a bunch

As many of us are separated by distance, and cannot physically give our mums a bunch of flowers, the traditional method of placing flowers between the sheets of a large book to flatten and dry them could be a great alternative. These could then become part of a homemade card, and would be a good use for those heavy textbooks that are hardly opened. Of course if you are running short for time, there are many sites online allowing you to send a fresh bunch to your mum’s address. 

Vouchers for when lockdown ends

With prospects looking up for the summer months, a gift card or voucher to your mum’s favourite spa or masseuse could be a great present. If these are still hard to get hold of, a handmade ‘voucher’ promising to babysit younger siblings so she can have a day out, or for a special homemade meal when you are reunited would be a more personal alternative. 

Homemade chocolates

As most cakes or bakes are not easily sent by post, an alternative could be to purchase chocolate moulds, and make your mum some homemade chocolates. Adding dried raspberries, edible flower petals, or glitter would add a personal touch.

Image: Nick Fewings via Unsplash