New Library Study Spaces

ByEleanor Parker

Are you tired of wasting time searching for somewhere to sit in the library? Find out about the hottest seats in town…

Following the work that has taken place over the summer, 370 new working spaces have opened across all levels of the Main Campus Library.

Not only does this mean that there are 170 more spaces available across your current favourite levels of the library, but 200 of the brand new spaces are situated on a newly opened floor that most students will not have visited before.

After working closely with the University, Students’ Association President Alec Edgecliffe-Johnson was finally able to officially open the new area on October 17. Of the new spaces, Alec has said: “I know how jammed the library can be around exam time, so to have hundreds of extra study spaces available is going to be a huge help. It’s great that library staff have been able to re-organise to free up this space and improve the facilities available to students.”

Instead of flying up the lift to higher levels or struggling up four flights of stairs, take the central staircase down to the lower ground floor, where you will find a newly decorated space completely dedicated to studying – no bookcases, just desks. It has lain unused for nearly four decades as book storage, but has now been completely re-designed and decorated for student use.

There are 72 desks for personal use, complete with new plug sockets. These plug sockets, across all the desks, now come with USB plugs for the purpose of phone charging. There are seven group study rooms available to book on MyEd, providing a more private space to work as a group than the group pods available on the first and ground floors. Additionally, being able to book them online allows for better structured working sessions with regard to time allocation – essential for planning group presentations.

The addition of 72 desks with fast and efficient desktop computers adds the final element to the work space.  Catering for every aspect of student need, there is no need to be worried about missing the views of the rolling Pentland hills from the upper floors. The lower ground floor position brings you closer than ever to the leafy greens of the Meadows and is a bright, warm and welcoming space in which to start writing your essays.

[Image: Edinburgh University Library Services]

By Eleanor Parker

Ellie is a fourth year History undergraduate and former Lifestyle editor.