Olivia Dean makes a gorgeous comeback with new single ‘Danger’

BySasha White

Olivia Dean at Love Supreme Festival 2022, singing onstage

Olivia Dean’s latest single ‘Danger’ is a beautifully crafted homage to the simultaneous risk and liberation of falling in love with someone who might be just right for you. Her smooth, clean vocals possess a timeless quality which undoubtedly confirm her as one of the UK’s most thrilling voices. 

The 23-year-old hailing from East London articulates the emotional experiences of her generation so maturely that it only seems fitting that Radio 1’s Clara Amfo picked Dean’s new single as her hottest record of the week. 

Her 2021 EP Growth signified just that, the evolution of a young woman fiercely in touch with the contemporary anxieties of womanhood and not afraid to express herself with complete vulnerability. 

Although her music has a distinctly soulful feel, it would be reductive to pigeonhole her into any particular category with personal influences as disparate as Paul Simon, Laura Marling, Steely Dan and Lauryn Hill. In ‘Danger’, Dean’s ability to condense a profound experience like falling in love into memorable lyrics is evident as she declares “Why suddenly I would rather be with you than anyone? And why do I feel like the world is ending too?” Grounded by a gorgeous horn section, ‘Danger’ showcases her abundant musicality and lyricism. 

Olivia Dean only gets better the more you listen to her. With a feature on Loyle Carner’s new album hugo, she is clearly making waves in London’s music scene. 

Image courtesy of Sasha White.