• Thu. Jun 13th, 2024

Olivia Dean’s dazzling vocals shine on new single ‘UFO’

BySasha White

Image of Olivia Dean on stage

Dean teases her debut album with ‘UFO’,  a stripped back, self proclaimed “shy love song”, as a follow up to her last single ‘Danger’, released in October 2022. The new single consists of merely an acoustic guitar and a vocoder, foregrounding Dean’s signature soulful vocals. 

Produced by Matt Hales (aka Aqualung), ‘UFO’ sees Dean experimenting with her sound in new ways with the use of the vocoder lending to the extra-terrestrial narrative of the lyrics: “I’m tryna fly a UFO, / don’t really do this often”. In a recent interview with Radio 1’s Clara Amfo, Dean emphasised her desire to defy the genre categorisation so easily placed upon artists by the current music industry in favour of constant evolution and experimentation on her terms. It is clear that the 23 year old East London singer is wise beyond her years and has no trouble in advocating for herself. 

‘UFO’ chronicles the initial hesitancy that accompanies letting yourself fall in love. Although it may come as a surprise to those that have seen her perform live, Dean refers to herself as an introvert and says she has a hard time saying ‘I love you’. This song seems cathartic for her, with vulnerable lyrics which immediately draw the listener in: “And I need somewhere to land, I / might as well fall / into your earthly hands so let me know / UFO”. 

‘UFO’ is a further indication that Dean’s music is both timely and timeless. She has the ability to express 21st century angst in a completely nostalgic way, building an ever-expanding fanbase. 

With a sold out headline tour in March, and support slots for UK rap legends Loyle Carner and Kojey Radical, Dean’s star shows no sign of fading.  

Image courtesy of Sasha White