• Sun. May 19th, 2024

Over 150,000 affected by nationwide ADHD medication shortage

ByLara van Vorst

Pill bottle spilled, lying on its side with blue pills

The Department for Health and Social Care (DHSC) has announced a national supply disruption for several ADHD medications. 

The supply shortage, which is expected to last until December 2023, is said to have been caused by an increased global demand and the inability to keep up with them due to manufacturing issues. 

Medications affected by the disruptions are Methylphenidate, Lisdexamfetamine, Guanfacine, and Atomoxetine. 

The NHS has advised that those who are impacted should contact their community pharmacy to check if their required medication is in stock and consult their GP instead of simply stopping their medication when they run out.

This is not the first shortage in ADHD medicine the UK has experienced. Just last year, the DHSC issued a shortage notice for methylphenidate. 

This happens due to an increase in diagnoses of the condition, especially in adults. ADHD UK gives an estimate of 2.6 million people in the UK having ADHD.

According to the Pharmaceutical Journal, the number of people receiving those prescriptions on the NHS has more than doubled in the past eight years, reaching 233,000. Over 150,000 of those are now affected and cannot receive new prescriptions before running out.

It is common for people with ADHD to also suffer from other conditions like depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder. Many are now concerned that without their needed ADHD treatment, their mental health could worsen.

Henry Shelford, CEO and co-founder of ADHD UK expressed his discontent in an interview with the BBC saying:

“ADHD is a disability and the sudden removal of medication is akin to removing a wheelchair from a disabled person that needs it.” 

“They don’t die, but they are not able to work in the same way.”

He blames the NHS supply chain for the shortage.

“This is a known problem.”

“It is an abject failure, but sadly this lack of care is something we’ve come to expect with our stigmatised condition.” 

His advice is for people to talk to their boss or family to reach out for support, but he also admitted that most people likely won’t.

“The stigma is so big, the threat of discrimination is so big that they don’t speak so they are not going to be able to get help in this period.”

“They are on their own and there is nothing.”

An update on the situation is expected at the end of October.

Image: “Prescription Drugs – Prescription Bottle – Pills” by weiss_paarz_photos is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.