• Fri. May 17th, 2024

“I pirate lol”: How Edinburgh students get around buying a TV licence

ByOrla Stopforth

Television with remote control in front

A recent survey conducted by The Student found that while the majority of students are required to own a TV licence, only 20% have actually paid for one.  

Students need a TV licence to watch or record live TV on any channel or service, and to use BBC iPlayer.  

A licence is not needed for streaming services like Netflix or Disney Plus, on-demand (not live) TV, videos on websites like YouTube, or DVDs.

If you live at another address outside of term time (for example with a parent or guardian), you can use its licence while you’re at university on any device. This applies if a device is battery powered, for example phones, laptops or tablets.

More from news: Police Scotland to receive new funding following 2023 budget slash

Additionally, the device should not be plugged in while watching and should not be connected to an aerial.

TV licences cost £159 per year, however if you watch or record live TV without a licence the potential fine is £1000. 

The majority of students have reported simply ignoring letters from licence investigators, which have been described as “nasty”, “threatening”, and “awful” by recipients who took part in The Student’s survey.  

The letter is titled: “Official Notice: investigation Opened,” and further states:

“If we don’t hear from you, our Enforcement Division will schedule a visit. Should the investigation find that you’re watching, recording or downloading TV illegally, you could be prosecuted.” 

This week in Edinburgh: New Edinburgh tourist tax sparks debate on how to spend its revenue

According to the TV Licensing service, these letters are sent to all homes that don’t have a TV licence and may become “progressively stronger” if ignored.

However, some students expressed feeling concerned by licence investigations.  One student responded:

“They target immigrants, students, the elderly and the infirm – those most likely to be manipulated by their big red scary letters. They’re a disgrace to this country.” 

Other methods include using piracy websites to view content or using streaming services that do not require TV licences. One student added that they stream “websites of dubious legality” to get around buying a licence.

Another student mentioned that “I pirate lol” to circumvent buying a licence. 

More from news: Scotrail suspends services as Storm Isha winds hit 80 mph

Householders are under no legal obligation to say anything when questioned by a TV Licence Inspector or to allow them entry to their property, but investigators may come back with a search warrant.  

According to the BBC, when investigated, about a sixth of these investigations reveal that licensing rules are being violated.

Currently, exemptions are only available for over 75-year-olds and those who receive a Pension credit.  Discounts are available for those living in residential care/sheltered accommodation, and those who are registered blind.  

Students are currently not exempt from paying for a TV licence. 

TV, Television and remote controller – stock photo” by espensorvik is licensed under CC BY 2.0.