‘Promising debut’: GEORGE review

The creative debut work of Contingency Theatre, GEORGE is an interesting work of experimental theatre that attempts to draw light towards the mentally unhealthy attitudes of the workforce. We watch as the titular protagonist, George (Barbara Blanka) succumbs to her mother’s desire to be ambitious and her eventual transformation into a monster. Mesmerizing and unexpected, GEORGE is a work of beautiful choreography that tells a terrifyingly realistic story.

Unnerving at times, GEORGE uses this unease to keep audiences alert and focused as it shows the development of George and her childhood friends Nick (Max Percy) and Cam (Igor Smith) into ruthlessly ambitious adults as they begin to work in the city. The plot revolves around a mysterious figure, ‘J’, who alone has the power to elevate individuals into positions of wealth and influence. As George and Cam desire more and more, Nick finds himself thrown to the wayside in a stunningly beautiful dance. While engaging, the plot also felt confusing at times, especially as it was interspersed with their choreography. 

The choreography is both GEORGE’s strength and weakness. Occasionally the trio swerves off sync, without fully detracting from the visual value of the show. However, the actors have extraordinarily beautiful moments as they push against each other and create gorgeous visuals for the audience to admire. 

GEORGE is a promising debut for a young theatre company, which attempts to challenge the acceptance of mentally unhealthy work mindsets in society. However, it feels at times too ambitious for what the group could pull off. Visually beautiful and interesting, GEORGE is a fascinating work that only hints at the potential of Contingency Theatre.

GEORGE

Run ended

Image: Contingency Theatre