Review: Tutto Matto

ByMarie Pan

Dec 8, 2015

Brace yourselves. Last week, a buzzing new pizza restaurant opened (by the founders of the Pinto Mexican Kitchen) on 16 Nicolson Street opposite Festival theatre, giving out 500 free pizzas on their opening day. Its name? Tutto Matto. I admit I could not contain my excitement when I first had a look at the menu. It boasts an impressive total of 26 pizzas on its menu, with 20 of these taking you ‘round the world’ – pizza names range from Peking to Edinburgh to Barcelona. Their combinations of ingredients are innovative too; for example, the ‘Lisbon’ pizza includes piri piri pizza sauce, oven roasted smoked chicken, mango, sweetcorn, red onion, manchego and mozzarella. I, myself, tried the ‘Amalfi’ pizza, which was topped with a creamy sauce and seafood. Initially I felt quite keen about trying such an exciting pizza, but couldn’t handle the creaminess after a few slices. Best to stick to tomato sauce for me.

If you’re not a fan of pizzas, the menu offers pasta bowls, starters (such as baked calarami and a ‘wee haggis pot’), meat/cheese boards and drool-worthy sundaes – flavours range from eton mess to sweet peanut butter. And if you thought it couldn’t get better, you haven’t peeked at the drinks menu. Already it offers various beers, ciders, cocktails (I unashamedly had three on the pre-opening night) and wines. The menu really has no faults.
Except for one, I guess. The vegetarian options are quite sparse, with only four pizza options, one salad and two pasta options.

Let’s move on from food now. The interior has a modern and cool vibe – the wooden walls are adorned with pizza boards (with the name and details of each pizza inscribed on them). The lights hang quite low and the size of the restaurant itself surprised me, for some reason – probably because all I remembered from the old restaurant was the statute of a naked man that stood near the door. The staff were all extremely friendly and helpful on the pre-opening night, although time will tell whether the quality of service will continue, since the pre-opening night was mainly for press and friends and family. Overall, the prices are pretty decent for the portion sizes. It’ll definitely become my top food destination on one of those ‘treat yo’ self’ sort of uni days.

Image Credit: Tutto Matto Uk: Facebook