• Thu. Apr 25th, 2024

Run it back now: it’s time for a new university voice

ByRobert Bazaral

Did we scare you last time? To those intrigued by the last edition who felt drawn to our plea, we are pleased as new editors to hopefully give you a foray into what student journalism can be in this day and age if we all truly just try to give a shit.

Right now, the wittiest youth in the world are distilling their political thoughts and humorous observations into 280 character tweets rather than for the bounty of publications within their city or university. Many of those who feel the urge to write for student newspapers often do it for CV-padding or some weird neoliberal fantasy about the righteous spread of fact who probably have a shrine to the holy New York Times

If you are a disenfranchised, clever, but not necessarily academic, university student on your way for a vegan sausage roll and a smoke, I am here to tell you we’re here for you. If you’re pulling an all-nighter in the library and want something relatable to laugh at, we’re here for you. And if you’re a snarky burnout gloriously reveling in the age of feeling better than everyone else, we are definitely here for you. As editor-in-chief, I promise to make content that really is for students, content that is worth talking with you pals over, content worth a laugh almost as much as a good Twitter thread (*cough cough* many of which you can find over @robbthevibedgod). 

And if you are part of the minority of people who thinks that student journalism is the most self-serious of crafts and that we should be only paraphrasing BBC articles and talking about how that Pete Buttigieg guy really has some good ideas and totally didn’t cheat in Iowa, then you are welcome to keep reading and complain to us! 

Student journalism should be inclusive, it should be diverse, and it should feature actual opinions. In this edition you’ll find funnier, more vocal, and personable content than usual and if we’ve done our job, hopefully it might be somewhat relatable and informative. We are featuring The Student Review for the first time in 

15 years: a salute to the excellent culture journalism here, all the while making our news content local, juicy, and strong. Our editors are some of the most creative minds I’ve met and they’re armed with great content and some knowledge of Scribus to bring us back. We are revamping our Twitter profiles, building better connections with our writers, and throwing caution to the wind. They have all our data anyways, might as well say what we fuckin’ think.

If this is indeed intriguing to you, keep reading, and if you like what you see, pick us up again next week. We are trying to distribute more places, but you can always find us in Teviot, the Library, Tesco, Potterrow, and King’s. And if you want to join our revolution, we meet Tuesdays at 12:15 in Teviot to discuss our plans to put out student news and cause havoc on campus.

People think Edinburgh University kids are self-important snobs, and while a glance at George Square may often give a view of ignorant, networking, private school types, I know there’s something more there. It took me a while to find when I first got here, but there’s a community of smart-as-hell, rambunctious contravenes here ready to fuck shit up. Give a shit for a moment, and join us. To close this off, in the immortal words of Kanye West:

“Old folks talkin’ bout back in my days? Well, homie this is my day, class started two hours ago, oh am I late?”

Image: Jon S via Flickr

By Robert Bazaral

Second-year Editor in Chief at The Student, specializing in album reviews and opinion pieces on music. IR major and aspiring journalist.