Scary Season Suggestions: Re-Animator

ByJojo Andromeda

Cassette tape of Reanimator, with a $2.99 sticker

Scare-o-meter 3/5

Usually when you google a list of Halloween movie recommendations, the same suspects always pop up: Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th ,Scream, etc. However, despite grossing $2,023,414 across 129 theatres on its 1985 release, Re-Animator remains an enigma within the horror genre. Even though it received glowing reviews and won the First Prize of Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and Horror at the Cannes Film Festival at the time, when you recommend it to people, even the most avid horror fans, you can see question marks pop up above their heads. However, your average queer horror fan will own a copy of Re-Animator in their room, alongside a vinyl of Dead Man’s Party and a picture of David Byrne. Re-Animator is a 1985 comedy horror movie, starring Jeffrey Combs, Bruce Abbott, and Barbara Crompton, and directed by Stuart Gordon. It follows Dan Cain, a medical student who gets swept up in a transgressional journey about what it means to live and to die, and his colleague, Herbert West, is a mad scientist with feverish aspirations to bring the dead back to life with his “reagent” serum. However, there is an element of campy, schlocky fun, which leans more towards the comedy side in comedy horror. With scenery-chewing performances from Jeffrey Combs and David Gale, gallons of neon red blood splattered across the set, and iconic quips such as, “Who’s going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a sideshow,” Re-Animator is a perfect palate cleanser for a horror movie marathon, offering a more light-hearted adaptation of the Lovecraftian novel. If you’ve seen the big horror franchises too many times and are looking for something more underground, check out Re-Animator!

Re-Animator” by Terror on Tape is licensed under CC BY 2.0.