Scotland announces stricter lockdown measures to curb “critical and dangerous” rise in cases

This afternoon, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon announced additional lockdown measures which will be implemented from Saturday the 16th.

In an attempt to “maximise the impact of lockdown” the current restrictions are to be strengthened.

Residents in tier 4 areas are only allowed to leave and remain outside their home for essential purposes.

Working from home should be the default stance taken by employers unless it is impossible for the job to be done from home.

Statutory guidance will be published for employers to allow them to support those working from home.

As of Saturday, click and collect of non-essential items from shops will no longer be allowed in tier 4 regions. 

Businesses providing essential services will have to change how they operate, requiring time slots booked by customers collecting items. 

Click and collect also should not include the customer entering the store. 

Businesses providing takeaway food should not allow customers to enter the building whilst collecting or placing an order – this must be done outside or from a serving hatch.

There will also be public alcohol consumption bans put into place, meaning that those intending to buy takeaway alcohol and drink it on the street will no longer be able to do so.

These measures were announced on the same day as 1,949 new cases of Covid-19 were recorded in Scotland.

Image: pschemp via Wikimedia Commons