Scottish blackout caused by fault on transmission line

ByFlora Hewitt-Harris

An outage that saw thousands left without power on Sunday evening has been attributed to a fault on the transmission network.

Areas of Edinburgh and Fife as well as parts of the Scottish borders were left in darkness after a power cut in the evening of Sunday 7th February.

SP Energy Networks, which first received reports of the problem at approximately 21:11, stated that around 88,000 homes were affected.

The blackout lasted for up to 45 minutes in some areas and also saw mobile phone signals and internet connections cut off. 

Streetlamps and traffic lights turned off and many buildings ran on generator power and emergency lighting, including the Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh. 

Areas of Edinburgh without power included Newington, Marchmont, Morningside, Bruntsfield, Tollcross and Blackford.

Many took to the streets for “blackout walks” in areas such as the Meadows, while emergency calls were made after candlelight was mistaken for house fires in several locations. 

A full list of the postcodes affected is available on the Edinburgh Live website.

The cut extended as far South as West Linton and Cardrona. 

Initially, Scottish power released a statement saying that power was estimated to return by 23:15, but most areas saw an earlier return at around 22:00. 

A spokeswoman for SP Energy Networks apologised for the outage in a statement, describing the event as “highly unusual”.

“We’re sorry for any inconvenience caused and thank everyone affected for their understanding while we worked to restore supplies.”

The Student will continue to publish details on this event as they occur. 

Image: Gabriel Jorby via Flickr