• Sun. Jul 21st, 2024

Scrumptious mussels Provençal recipe by Karuna Rahman

ByKaruna Rahman

Being by the sea with a glass of wine in our hands sounds incredibly idyllic. However, it is winter and the shore is freezing cold, we are also in a lockdown so the sea seems far away for most of us! Worry not, for here is an oceanic delight to save the day with its deliciousness. If you’re bored through this lockdown or you need a fancy yet simple dinner recipe, try out this recipe: delectable, steamed mussels in a white wine cream sauce. Now let’s get cooking and maybe even start sipping some wine on the side!

Ingredients

-A big pad of butter (really, you can’t have too much)
-1/2 an onion, finely chopped
-3-4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
-2 fresh tomatoes, cored and finely diced
-Good white wine (I used about 1/2 a cup to maybe a cup)
-Single cream – as much as your heart desires!
-A sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley
-A good pinch of oregano
-Mussels (I used approximately 1kg): make sure to debeard them and
also check for broken shells and
dead ones

Once done grabbing and prepping these ingredients, we can get to the nitty-gritty of this non-complex recipe..

Method

1. Heat a large, shallow pan over low-medium heat and melt the butter.
  2. Once the butter is warmed through, add the finely chopped onion and garlic and stir for 4-5 minutes until the onions are soft.
  3. Add the tomatoes, parsley and oregano and let this heavenly smelling mixture cook for another 4 minutes. Good things come to those who wait!
  4. It’s almost time to steam our mussel friends! Add the white wine and wait till it’s hot, then add in the mussels and cover the pan with a lid immediately. Let it steam for 6-8 minutes. The mussels will now get
    hot in the steam and as soon as they open up their shells in an attempt to cool off, they’ll be steamed, soaking in the delicious white wine sauce you just made. Perfection!
  5. After approximately 6 minutes, check to see if most of the mussels have opened up. It should be a mellow pale orange colour. Be sure not to overcook them though, as you don’t want them to get rubbery.
  6. Once the mussels are done, take them out of the pan and place into a bowl, leaving the flavourful white wine mixture in the pan.
  7. Now, add some cream; this one you just have to eyeball: add as much as you think would be good for your soul. Stir this through for a few minutes.
  8. Pour this mouthwatering sauce over the mussels and et voila! You are ready to consume this exquisite dish. Serve with white wine and chips.

My recipe is an adaptation of chef Jean Pierre’s Mussel Provençal recipe. If you’d like to see a video demonstration, search “Mussels Provençal Jean Pierre” on YouTube. He happens to be a hilarious old man with some of the simplest yet most joy and nostalgia provoking recipes. Here’s hoping this recipe brings us the comfort of being by a sea shore with lots of flavour. Happy cooking from Lifestyle!

Image: Karuna Rahman Image: andy-castille via unsplash